Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Cucumbers: seeds or without seeds

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I've been googling this and asking other people, watching videos, some say cucumber seeds are okay some say it's not. Who to believe?

I was just wondering because we're going to this guinea pig gathering, instead of water bottles, I'm going to use cucumbers to hydrate my pigs. I've been taking out the seeds the whole time just to be sure.

I don't think cucumber seeds are a problem. They're soft, and pretty much like the inside of the cucumber.

The seeds that are dangerous are the ones that have hard shells that can break when a pig crunches on them -- small pieces of the shell can go down their throats. In addition, hard-shelled seeds are hard on their digestive tracts.

I've never bothered removing cucumber seeds and never had an issue and it's a fairly regular part of their diet.

I never read that the seeds could be an issue, so I have always given whole cucumbers, I mix up the varieties as often as I can. Sometimes Maximus von Lichtenwalder peels them first, sometimes he de-seeds them first and sometimes he eats the entire thing. (being the baby finger length variety not a whole foot long variety, of course)

Great! Thanks for the answers ! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.