Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cubes inside or out of coroplast

richardson10

Cavy Slave
Is there any reason the cubes should be placed outside of the coroplast and not inside? It seems to me that if the cubes are placed inside the coroplast bottom (like storebought cages) that this would prevent the piggies from chewing on the edges. Is there a benefit or disadvantage to either placement?

pennick

Cavy Slave
I originally ordered my cage to be made with the idea of putting the grids inside the coroplast. I changed my mind the last minute only because I thought since they like to urinate around the edges that would mean wet and smelly grids possibly. The thought of having to wash the grids each time turned me off so I changed my mind quickly. My piggies have never chewed on the corplast. Maybe I am just lucky.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Its just preference. It doesn't matter where you place the grids, but most pigs tend not to chew on the coroplast. I think its easier having the grids on the outside because then you can lift the coroplast box out without lifting the grids.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Mischief chewed a few spots on the coroplast so I tried setting a grid over his chewing spots on the inside. He just wedged his nose through the bars and continued chewing but now he chewed the bars too. Also I hated cleaning store bought cages with wire on the inside. It rusted, bedding and hay got wrapped around the bars so they had to be sprayed off, one of mine learned to lift up on the bars and get out(clips on the sides broke), and i had to make sure I put the bars in before the bedding or they sat on top of it and wouldn't fit right(broke the clips trying to force it). If you put them on the inside you'll probably have to remove them when you clean the cage or you'll have crud stuck along the edges.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Definitely cubes outside the coroplast. I don't think you could properly clean if you've got a grid floor on top of coroplast.

Denise

Cavy Slave
I agree. Cubes on the outside. During quarantine we put a grid on the inside and it was hard to clean under it. I kept having to take it apart there to get the coroplast cleaned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.