Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Crystals? and Fleece?

sseahorse

Cavy Slave
I searched the forum but didn't find anything that would answer my question. Would it be possible to create a fleece bag/pillowcase and stuff it with crystal litter? I would make sure that the opening would have two strips of velcro and fold it under and secure it again with another strip of velcro. The litter is excellent at absorbing liquid and the fleece would make it softer and keep the litter contained. I probably would do a double layer of fleece or possibly another inner bag that could be tied off or velcroed to make sure the litter did not escape.

So, what do you think? Completely bad idea or something worth trying?

I wouldn't do it for the simple fact that one day my piggies might get to the litter because they are like little kids. You can put an absorbent layer of cotton(I use 2 layers) fabric or some people use Uhaul pads between the fleece.

I've never heard of anyone using crystal litter, for cats or guinea pigs. My first reaction is that it's not a good idea, and here's why. It's made of silica, which is a known lung irritant and carcinogen. Cats use a litter box and get out, spending 99.9% of their time elsewhere. Pigs live on their litter 99.9% of the time. I don't know how dusty it might be, or how fine the particles are, so don't know whether the pigs would be in any danger.

If you google "crystal litter dangers" (without the quotes), you'll see a bunch of hits warning people of the dangers of it. That's enough for me to say I wouldn't use it.

Thanks. I was thinking about using it in the kitchen area, but you are both right. I'll scrap it and stick to cell-sorb or carefresh for the kitchen area and fleece for the play area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.