Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Crusty genital area?

akaruby

Cavy Slave
I'm in need of some help! I recently adopted a baby 5 week old male guinea pig, Hoyt. He is not with the older male yet, but I've noticed that there is whitish crusty stuff on the young pig's genitals. One of his legs also looked wet. He did not have this yesterday. I just want to know if this is normal in very young pigs? I've never encountered this with my one year old pig Franklin. Please help! I'm a worried piggy momma!

Is the crusty stuff really stuck on, or can you wipe it off?

If it's stuck, it's boar glue. And you'll have to wait until the hair grows out enough to cut it off.

Some came off easily, but most didn't. It's on his genitals and not on the hair so I did get most off. Is this normal for young males? Maybe I never noticed it with my older pig.

It's probably just dried semen, aka boar glue, and is totally normal for young boars. Boars of all ages, actually. Just let it alone unless it's bothering him.

Thank you guys for your help! It isn't bothering him and he has been very active and happy. I'm glad I don't have to worry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.