Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Crusty discharge near and in corner of 1 eye of 5yr old gp

dave1068

Cavy Slave
Hi all-

Nice site you have here, read some of the prior posts and this is a bit different. I have a 5 yr old pig (Jiff) that has some crusty discharge near and in the corner of one eye. He still eats and drinks and seems fine. I remove it w/ my finger and sometimes use a warm paper towel to remove it, after a few days, a few more crusty dots return.

Does anyone know what this might be? He still eats pellets, carrots, hay and fruit. There is no liquid discharge and I dont use pine or oiled bedding.

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum! Could it be conjunctivitis? Either way I would go to the vet to get it checked. Eye problems are serious and need to be dealt with right away. Please keep us updated!

How is she doing?

Crust in one eye only usually means an injury or infection to that eye. Usually antibiotic eye ointment is needed. On some occasions the tear duct could be clogged, and some vets will carefully flush it out.

When I have a pig whose eye looks normal except for the weeping or crustiness, I apply saline eye drops in case there's some hay or dust in the eye. If it gets crusty again then I make a vet appointment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.