Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cranberry juice in water

Calebgbart

Cavy Slave
So I adopted a piggy and discovered the next day the poor baby has a uti. I could either return Ajax or take him to the vet. So vet trip it was since I wasn't sure if this was a result of neglect or not. Anyway he is on antibiotics right now and I've started mixing guinea pig appropriate cranberry juice in their water (figured I might as well fight off the possibility of further problems). I have an average sized water bottle I'm putting 6tsp of cranberry juice in it and filling the rest with water and I'm replacing it every 12 hours. Should this NOT be a daily thing? I figured so diluted it wouldn't hurt but I thought I'd ask for input just in case.

Cranberry juice, in humans, may help to prevent a URI, but it won't do anything to cure it after the fact. And it may do nothing at all, either pre-, during, or post-infection in guinea pigs. Humans have acidic urine, herbivores have basic urine, and reactions in the two solutions are completely different.

That said, as long as you're not giving sweetened juice, it probably won't do any harm.

I'm not expecting the juice to cure it... Just figured it is an easy inexpensive preventative measure. It's definitely unsweetened and undiluted (it's soooooooooo strong that's why I don't put much in the water). I've seen many threads about cranberry juice for piggies just haven't seen much dosage info as far as once a week, twice a week, daily. Etc. Also my VET suggested yogurt as a probiotic but I've seen so many posts about no dairy that I'm hesitant to do that. She said a small amount (5 ml) but based on posts I've read I'm a little wary

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't give yogurt. Poop soup from a healthy pig is a much better option. You can also use Bene-Bac, or plain human acidophilus or kyodophilus.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.