Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Craigslist Pigs

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

I'm debating getting another pig, seeing as Phoenix died. I was contemplating where to get a pig, I thought about a rescue, but I'm not happy about the care most of the ones around me provide, and I also know that most of those pigs will get better homes than most of the pigs that I have seen on Craiglist. I'm guessing most of them either go to be snake food, or to someone who is just getting them on a whim. So I'm wondering, is it a good idea to get a pig from Craigslist? Is there anything I should look out for?

The two best places to get piggies are rescues and places like CL (as opposed, of course, to breeders and pet stores). I can understand your qualms about some rescues, when you know how and individual place is run. There's one in my area that isn't too appealing to me either. I was a volunteer for several months until the last straw was broken!

As far as CL is concerned, I think it's very considerate to go for pigs whose owners may/may not have their best interest at heart. You're getting another pig and, in the process, rescuing it from an uncertain fate. I would say, go for it! :)

Be on guard, however, for breederrs. They're not supposed to be able to post to CL, but some still get by undetected. Be aware of the health of the piggy and don't take the owner's word for gender, that sort of thing. I would try going after the piggies that are posted for free first. Those are the piggies most in danger of getting taken by snake feeders.

I'm a definite fan of Craigslist piggies. I look at them in the same way that I look at pigs from shelters or rescues. Granted, you're not immediately opening a shelter or rescue spot, but if the person HAS to get rid of their pig, it's probably going to end up at a shelter, get turned loose, or goodness only knows what else if someone doesn't take it.

I got Borat from a shelter and was talking to a rescue when I spotted Amy on Craigslist in a town about an hour away. She had to go because of a move, and I liked the fact that I met her former owners and learned about her history (part of a mis-sexed pet store pair, had two babies). I also got a ton of supplies with her, although some got pitched because they were bad stuff like a pet store cage and salt lick. It's pretty common to get a lot of supplies, either free or very cheap, via CL because people there tend to be getting out of piggy ownership entirely due to moves, kids who lost interest, etc.

As @CritterLuvva said, the only thing to beware of is breeders, some of whom try to disguise themselves as private parties. You'll probably get a bad gut sense after talking to the person if it's a breeder, so trust your feelings. With Amy, it was very apparent that her owners were a private family.

I got all of my current piggies from Craigslist and would again. Right now there are several ads of FREE piggies, and I'm dying here because I just cannot rescue them all! (Dallas/Fort Worth area)
Lots of inexpensive ones, too. Some even have C & C cages for a modest fee!

Oh, @Field-of-Dreams ! I feel your pain! Too bad we live so far away, I'd see if you could send some on a pet train up here when my time is ripe. Wish I could think of something that could be done, but alas my mind's a blank right now! :(

Two of my 4 are from Craig's List. I think the biggest thing you need to be aware of is that the pigs probably have not been well taken care of and may have health problems. My Ben had bumble foot, for example, but Buddy was perfectly healthy.

Thanks everyone! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.