Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Craigslist Mommy

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey there! I've been meaning to do this introduction for awhile. I'm Claire and I'm from the Midwest. I have 6 guinea pigs, and here are their stories:
Bernadette is a brown and black flecked crested with white blazes. Geniveive, her sister, looks similar to her except for the fact she is silver with black flecks and white blazes. Geniveive is also crested. I found these two lovely ladies on Craigslist, with an owner who couldn't keep them as she was heading off to college. They came to me with the remainder of their CEDAR:sick: bedding and a Petco water bottle. Apparently, they had been living in a pet store cage where their old owners smoked in the house! Poor girls. Luckily, I had found this website and done loads of research before adopting my pigs, so they settled in nicely to their 2X4 C&C cage with fleece. We burned the Cedar in our firepit outside and it created a very pleasant smell :).
Beatrice is a black and white Abyssinian with a very funky hairdo. I call her my emo piggy :). I found Beatrice and Charlotte, a chocolate Texel girl on Craigslist as well. I had originally contacted the private rescue for two Himilayan Texel babies they had posted, but when I called they had been rehomed already. The lady running the rescue offered me a bonded pair surrendered to her. They had been housed with a boar before coming to her, and she warned me the Abysinnian might be pregnant. She was very responsible about it, offering to take the babies if the Abyssinian was indeed pregnant. I was driven to her house and got to meet the beautiful pigs. I immediately handed the 30$ adoption fee over to her and held the cuties in my arms. I told the rescuer a little about where they would be staying and their cages and things. She was very interested in C&C cages and using fleece as bedding. I was elated when, a few weeks later, she listed a boy on CL housed in a C&C cage and fleece! Anyway, I drove the pigs home in a cat carrier where I gave them their names, Beatrice and Charlotte.
A few months after I adopted Beatrice and Charlotte, a little fuzz ball appeared in their cage. At first, I had thought a mouse had gotten into their enclosure as it was a small, white thing, but upon closer investigation it became clear one of the pigs had given birth... But who? I began combing the cage for signs of birth, and was rewarded with another baby, this time a jet-black shiny pig. Over time, Charlotte revealed herself as the mother. Her pups became apparent silkie males. While Sebastian stayed black(sometimes giving the illusion of a dark blue coat), Charles developed dark greyish brown ears, feet, and nose. Much to their dismay, the boys were removed from their mother's cage after 3 weeks. I decided to keep the boys. All four of the girls now live in an L-shaped 2X6 C&C, the boys living in a 2X4. I love my pigs and don't know what I would do without them.

Attachments

Copy (2) of Copy of Piggie Photoshoot 002.jpg Copy (2) of Copy of Piggie Photoshoot 003.jpg Copy (2) of Copy of Piggie Photoshoot 010.jpg
Sounds like you have your hands full!

Kudos to you!

beautiful pigs! your silver one looks a lot like my Beast.

awesome! everytime i look on craigslist for a guinea pig its already gone in like a day.

What a story! It's great that you were able to save them all! They are adorable! I especially love little Beatrice's longer "butt warming" hair. So CUTE! This is also a great testimonial for people looking to beeders for specific types of guinea pigs. I, too, found my texel (my "dream" guinea pig) and the funniest looking abby baby (my whimpy pig) on Craigslist that were living in not so good places.

Wow! You must be pretty busy keeping your pigs happy! They are so cute! You are amazing for rescuing them all! WAY TO GO! :D

wow, house full, Beautiful and welcome to the gp forum

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.