Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Craigslist Drama-Oh, what to do?!

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
Lately I've been checking out craigslist hoping to find George a buddy or two. I thought I had found the perfect one, but sadly someone else got him before I could. Okay, that is sad for me. It's great that he got a new home. But I am bummed. Anyways, the search goes on! I check craigslist and find this ad-https://modesto.craigslist.org/pet/3004476777.html

It doesn't say whether they are male or female or not so I decide to send him a text. Here is our little conversation.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Craigslist Drama-Oh, what to do?!

Does this seem off to anyone else? I mean, at first he says they are two boys and two girls, then he switches his story to one male and three females, but says they are separated because he doesn't want babies. But in the pictures on his ad, they are together. Also they look like they are kept in hamster cages! I mean, I have never seen a guinea pig cage look like that ever.

I'm not sure if I should pursue this or not. What do you guys think?

Since taking the screen shots he has sent me a few texts practically begging me to take all of them. But I would only be able to take the male, as I don't even want to have the slightest chance of pregnancy.

Oh and I just realized that I added him as a contact to hide his number from the internet, but it's on the ad. :D

hmm them cages r way to small!! my personal thought is id rescue them all!! but i know not everyone can do this, them guinea pigs are cute though, it is a dilemna. sorry i couldnt help much XD

Wow, that's an awful cage. How much is he asking?

oh and it sounds like he either sexed the guineas wrong and thought he had 2 of each or he was misinformed but i think he has ome pregnant sows so maybe thats why he wants rid :/

I'm 90% sure that that IS a hamster cage. There were plenty of people when I worked at Petco that would try terrible to buy a hamster cage for their baby guinea pig.

Um. I do agree that something seems a little off with the way he is talking. If you were to pursue getting a male, I would meet in a public place [restraunt parking lot, grocery store, etc]. And give him contact information of a few rescues near you if he really wants to get ride of them.
The ad picture could have just been when he first got them and didn't know? And maybe he just finally properly sexed them?

You just never know these days.

hmm them cages r way to small!! my personal thought is id rescue them all!! but i know not everyone can do this, them guinea pigs are cute though, it is a dilemna. sorry i couldnt help much XD

I honestly would if they were all male. I just can't take in females, especially ones who are probably already pregnant. :(

Wow, that's an awful cage. How much is he asking?

I know! It's not even a regular pet store guinea pig cage, which, I mean isn't great, but it would be better than this. He is asking $50 for all of them, or $25 for the male.

yea they are most likely pregnant if he mixed boys with girls, direct him to a shelter where they might get proper help :)

oh and it sounds like he either sexed the guineas wrong and thought he had 2 of each or he was misinformed but i think he has ome pregnant sows so maybe thats why he wants rid :/

Ugh, probably. :(
He is really pushing all of them.
But in his ad it says he is moving, so that might be why.

pets are for life!!! i understand people have special circumstances but come on guineas are adorable! i dont think he is trying hard enough to make sure they go to a safe and loving home :/

I'd try to work the price down. He seems desperate to be rid of them, and you can explain you could get the pig cheaper elsewhere. I hope he's not breeding.

A lot of people re-homing small animals on Craigslist don't take proper care of them. Just be prepared in case of health issues. Monitor weight.

Are you sure they're guinea pigs? I've heard people refer to guinea pigs as hamsters and hamsters as guinea pigs before. I can't see your photos clearly enough to see what's in them. The person sounds desperate to rehome them. I'd offer less money, ask to meet in a public place, take someone along with you and double check that's it's a male before taking it.

I'm 90% sure that that IS a hamster cage. There were plenty of people when I worked at Petco that would try terrible to buy a hamster cage for their baby guinea pig.

Um. I do agree that something seems a little off with the way he is talking. If you were to pursue getting a male, I would meet in a public place [restraunt parking lot, grocery store, etc]. And give him contact information of a few rescues near you if he really wants to get ride of them.
The ad picture could have just been when he first got them and didn't know? And maybe he just finally properly sexed them?

You just never know these days.

WOW! I have never heard of anyone using a hamster cage for a guinea pig. Sick.

Maybe you're right, I just feel off. I'll have to talk to my dad and see what he thinks, since I'm using him as the person I take with me for craigslist meet ups.

I'd try to work the price down. He seems desperate to be rid of them, and you can explain you could get the pig cheaper elsewhere. I hope he's not breeding.

A lot of people re-homing small animals on Craigslist don't take proper care of them. Just be prepared in case of health issues. Monitor weight.

I didn't get a breeder vibe, but maybe you're right.

If I did get him the first stop would be to our vet, just to make sure he is healthy.

Are you sure they're guinea pigs? I've heard people refer to guinea pigs as hamsters and hamsters as guinea pigs before. I can't see your photos clearly enough to see what's in them. The person sounds desperate to rehome them. I'd offer less money, ask to meet in a public place, take someone along with you and double check that's it's a male before taking it.

Yes, in the ad the pictures are of guinea pigs. Also when I saw the pictures full screen, I could tell that was a guinea pig in what I think is a hamster cage. I should have saved the full pictures but I didn't think of it. I'm going to offer him less, and see what happens. Thanks!

pets are for life!!! i understand people have special circumstances but come on guineas are adorable! i dont think he is trying hard enough to make sure they go to a safe and loving home :/

I know! He says he wants them to go to a good home, but he didn't ask me any questions on how I'd care for him or anything. At least I know I am doing the right thing, but if, god forbid, I ever had to re-home a pet I would be asking a TON of questions to make sure they are going to be loved and cared for properly.

I'd want to look at the nether regions of all of them to determine what sex they really are. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. They're all really cute though and look healthy, at least from the pics in the original ad. Anyone who would keep piggies in a cage like that probably doesn't care about how good a home they are going to. He just wants to be done with them. Let us know what happens.

I hope that everything goes well with the potential adoption. The fact that they are in hamster cages makes me want you to adopt them/him even more! lol Good luck. :)

Also, since you said your dad is going with you, I'm assuming you're a "minor", right? If so, I just wanted to say be careful who you are texting/e-mailing/etc. on Craigslist because you never know how they can track you or something. Oh, and make sure you have your parents' permission to do so in the first place. :)

I'd want to look at the nether regions of all of them to determine what sex they really are. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. They're all really cute though and look healthy, at least from the pics in the original ad. Anyone who would keep piggies in a cage like that probably doesn't care about how good a home they are going to. He just wants to be done with them. Let us know what happens.

True. It completely baffles me as to how someone couldn't care about their animals.

I mean, for all he knows, I'm going to feed them to a snake.

I hope that everything goes well with the potential adoption. The fact that they are in hamster cages makes me want you to adopt them/him even more! lol Good luck. :)

Also, since you said your dad is going with you, I'm assuming you're a "minor", right? If so, I just wanted to say be careful who you are texting/e-mailing/etc. on Craigslist because you never know how they can track you or something. Oh, and make sure you have your parents' permission to do so in the first place. :)

Thank you! I think I'm going to try and get the male, if it even is a male. :sarcastic

Oh, and I'm actually eighteen! But I still live at home and need my parents for things. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.