Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Couples-Are you both vegetarian?

Skippie

Cavy Slave
For those couples out there, are you both vegetarian/vegan? Or is one of you a meat-eater?

Is one of you eats meat and one doesn't, does this cause issues in the relationship? Does the meat-eater buy organic/grass fed/free range, ect?

If you are both vegetarian/vegan, did you search out something with the same eating habits?

This is more out of curiousity than anything. I am now mostly vegan but my husband is a meat-eater. Of course, most people find that incredibly strange! I am curious about other couples as well.

I have a boyfriend and no, he's not vegetarian and he don't want to become one. There's no issues when we ate, sometimes he choose to eat the same as me, so we don't have to cook different meals :)

I'm the vegetarian and Daniel is the meat eater. There was some adjustments that were harder for us due to Daniel being legaly blind and cooking meat correctly is harder for him. I do keep an eye on his meat to make sure it's not under cooked. We tend to eat the same things but he just adds his meat to his portion. He has decided to make one day a week "NO MEAT" day.
We talked about it before I turned vegetarian and came to the agreement that I wouldn't try to change his eating habits and that he would fully support me with mine.

My boyfriend (duffy) is a meat-eater and im the veggie in the relationship, it causes no problems. he always remembers that I don't eat certain stuff (which is more than i can say for my family, lol) and sometimes he even eats veg when there are other choices, like choosing a tofu dish when we are at a steak house or a veggie delite when we go to subway.

iv never known anyone who accepted my veggie ways as much as he does, lol.

My boyfriend (duffy) is a meat-eater and im the veggie in the relationship, it causes no problems. he always remembers that I don't eat certain stuff (which is more than i can say for my family, lol) and sometimes he even eats veg when there are other choices, like choosing a tofu dish when we are at a steak house or a veggie delite when we go to subway.

iv never known anyone who accepted my veggie ways as much as he does, lol.

Aw, that's cute. I like when they look for stuff like gifts that are not made of leather or anything <3

I went veg over a year ago and my husband refused! He was a big meat guy. It didn't cause many issues because he is very supportive of everything I do, but it was hard on me because I am the primary cook and grocery shopper. Then about 3 months ago he changed his tune. He only eats meat once a month if that! It's nice to not have to cook it and deal with it now.

My boyfriend's favorite food is chicken and i'm fine with that.

I'm not a vegetarian neither is my husband but I can relate to this issue because I tend to eat healthier then my husband. And yes just that causes problems ( for us anyway). Example: I eat more fruits and veggies then him , he's a meat and potatoes boy and likes most of his stuff plain. So then he grills meat which I like but I eat different sides then him or turn my meal into something else, which hurts his feelings. OR he wants fast food (which don't mind but dont want it as much as he does)and/or he wants pizza and don't so I tell him to get whatever he and the kids want and I'll pick at food in the house. This hurts his feelings too and gets on his nerves. I'll make my son eat a side of fruit or veggie with me and then can have whatever else he wants. My step daughter eats like her dad so just leave that alone to avoid the arguements. Its just total conflict in our house about food and its rediculous.

I'm a vegetarian, and moving towards being vegan, and my partner isn't. That being said, though, he rarely eats meat. In his words, he thinks that my decision to not eat meat (or other animal products) is morally/ethically right, but he doesn't care as much as I do. His meat eating is restricted to the occasional meal out with friends. I wasn't a vegetarian when we met, it's something I've decided to do in the last 12 months. He's been very supportive, though. I also tried to be a quiet example, rather than ramming my new morals/ethics down his throat. I think that both of these together means that it's not a conflict in our house.

He's not a very fussy eater, so he'll eat anything I cook. I've heard of couples where the woman in the relationship does all the cooking, and she's a vegetarian but the man isn't, and she cooks two separate meals all the time. Honestly, I would never do that. I would do that if there was a food allergy or a condition like diabetes, but I wouldn't cook meat every night just because my partner wants to eat meat. If he wants to eat meat, he can cook it himself.

I turned my partner veg, so my answer is yes! We both are. :)

(Not forcefully, just by learning more from me he just decided to change, which was very sweet of him!<3)

Nope, we aren't both. I was vegetarian for a long time, and now am vegetarian other than when inconveniencing others (visiting relatives etc), when traveling makes it impractical (think South America or parts of Asia where you just can't get meat out of the broths etc), and I have a meat CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture) share from a local farm which I have traveled to with vegans who approve of their practices. It's run by a husband and wife couple, and every animal is treated with respect and love, is let out in the pastures or outdoors, has tons of space and good fresh food. It's a bit expensive, but I get 10lb/month which is more than enough for the two of us to make and then some.

While I was totally vegetarian for a while, even when we were together at first, he basically didn't eat meat because

a) it's ridiculously expensive (we were in college)
b) it's silly to make two meals at once

It went from him eating meat most of the time to him eating meat for lunch sandwiches and the occasional meal we went out for only, maybe bacon for breakfast once in a long time. He didn't really consciously change, it was just a product of our living together and eating together. We also lived in a household of 12-14 people who shared cooking dinner 5 nights a week. It was always vegetarian with vegan options, and sometimes with ethical meat options (either hunted by one of the co-op house members or otherwise approved by us).

It really wasn't a problem. I went vegetarian because I don't approve of animal abuse and conditions on mass producing, unregulated (well, in my mind - I'm sure they have laws but they're pitiful) farm safety and treatment guidelines, etc. I don't have an ethical problem with death - it's a natural part of life, in my mind, and as long as the animals have had a healthy and happy loving life, and are killed painlessly and swiftly, I don't have a problem personally.

So, now that we're out of college and I have a job, I can afford to buy meat again, and it's stuff that I like for the ethics (he likes this too, but it's less of a big thing for him) - he really approves of the taste, though! Ethically raised meat just tastes so much better! The food, love, exercise and fresh air really shines through. Not to mention that meeting and talking with the farmers every month is just brilliantly amazing. Hearing about their latest sheep births or turkey escapades is hilarious.

It shouldn't ever be a problem when people have different meal choices. Just be respectful of each other, and if you want to be practical, try and compromise on making meals that fit both of your needs with the occasional splitting of dishes (ie, split a stir fry or pasta sauce into two dishes, add meat to only one) etc.

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.