Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Could this pig be pregnant?

lafrolo

Cavy Slave
I adopted two guinea pigs yesterday and realized that one (Chantilly) is much larger than the other (Teagan). They are both under a year, but both older than 6 months. We aren't sure of their exact ages. The larger pig is the mother of the smaller pig (but the pig isn't small because it's a baby, it's just....smaller).

Chantilly eats a lot. A LOT. A lot more than her daughter, actually. I'm wondering if she's just fat, but would that be where she keeps her fat? She is round near her rear and when i felt her stomach I could feel round things, like lumps but on the inside of her, not on her skin... but I didn't feel any moving (other than with her breaths, I think....).

The rescue that I brought her home from kept only these two in the cage together, no males. I tried to sex them both, and I am pretty sure they're both females. I don't know if they ever had any interaction with males at the rescue though. Here are a couple pictures:

5zgaec4.jpg

6fymomo.jpg

Could I just be paranoid? Is she just fat? Should I read up on pregnancy now?

pignatious

Cavy Slave
Well I am not an expert at this but that pig looks pregnant to me. You should know two things immediately. One is that a sow can get pregnant right after birth if there is a male present in the cage and Two if the baby just happens to be a male he can get his mother pregnant after 3 weeks so you need to know for sure what sex the baby is or right after the birth mom will get pregnant again.

camende

Cavy Slave
I would call Rose and talk to her about your concerns. I am sure accidents could happen if another piggy was put with these two by mistake. I supose time would tell but I would think that Critter Corral would know how to sex the babies properly. And, if another GP was put in the cage by mistake, I would think they wouldn't adopt out a GP if she was possibly pregnant.

I have one GP that is alot bigger then the other 3. She likes to eat, and she has a tendency to hog the food. I'm sure if I posted a picture of her, she'd look pregnant too!

lafrolo

Cavy Slave
I'm stilll a little skeptical. Today when Chantilly was running, she had two huge bulges on either side. My mom started freaking out because she doesn't want her to have babies. My vet is closed today, but I'll call tomorrow and see what they say.

I mean...does she look pregnant? Do I need to post more pictures?

OliversMomma

Cavy Slave
personally, I don't think she looks pregnant, I expect a more pronounced swelling higher up on her abdomen. but, I've never had a pregnant pig before, so I could be wrong. Many of the members here have had a preggers pig on time or another, maybe one of them can offer an opinion? You can always have an x-ray done to confirm one way or another.

lafrolo

Cavy Slave
Would an x-ray show it at any time in the pregnancy?

OliversMomma

Cavy Slave
Not any time I don't think... but if she's big enough for you to worry, likely it would.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Hmm, right now it's hard to tell. There are just some guineapigs that look pear-shaped. I had one that looked pear-shaped but was never pregnant. It was just her look. I would weigh her though. Weighing will definately also with a vet visit tell if she is. If she is gaining a lot each week then I would say yes. I would call the vet and see what she or he thinks. It's possible that she is pregnant and it could be that is her figure. Weigh weekly and a vet visit are your best options I believe if you want to know 100%.

LettUsEat.NOW!

Cavy Slave
She does look large for a girl under one. With advanced pregnancy you can usually feel harder lumps, but it's hard to tell just from a picture.
If it makes you feel better I have a guinea pig that always looks a little pregnant- but she's just a big eater (she's not fat, she's big boned :p)

moonfire

Cavy Slave
Well, I've never had a 'big-boned' piggie to compare it to, but based on the pictures you've posted at what my two pregnant piggies looked like, I would say she is pregnant. You could try putting her on your lap and seeing if you can feel them moving around inside - that's how I was sure my second guinea pig was pregnant.

But, of course, a vet trip can confim it ; )

livvy1801

Cavy Slave
She does look pregnant in a way, For some reason her left side looks larger then her right so possibly 3 little ones, but i just started learning about them im excepting mine in 2 more weeks = ) still with his mama though

Last edited by a moderator:

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I've got a spayed girl that looks exactly like that. Obviously she isn't pregnant, some pigs just carry their fat strangely. I'd get her in for a vet visit in any case. :)

lafrolo

Cavy Slave
Whenever I hold Chantilly she always has two huge bulges on either side of her belly. She just seems so round. I'm going to weigh her soon. How much can a pregnant pig typically weigh?

lafrolo

Cavy Slave
Also, can lethargy be part of a guinea pig's pregnancy?

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Hey,

My piggie, Dolce, just had a baby (3 but 2 were stillborn). And let me tell you, your piggie looks much like she did. Try feeling her sides, not only for movement, but is she firm or still piggie squishy? If she is a little more LAZY than usual, laying down alot, stretching in funny positions (Dolce would lay almost on her side with one back foot sticking out), eating more, then you are going to probably have some baby piggies in a few weeks! I'd just take some extra precautions (coming from experiece). Baby-proof your cage JUST IN CASE! I didn't do it soon enough, and I woke up to the baby crawling on the floor in my bedroom! We used thick posterboard and wired it to the outside of the cage, seems to be working. Good luck, and like I said, my baby was only born 4 days ago, and your piggie looks just like Dolce did about a week before the babies came. We kept saying, "My Dolce, you are getting fat!" But we were told our other piggie was a girl so we didn't think about it! HAHA!

Heidi

lafrolo

Cavy Slave
She is pretty squishy, not very firm. Does that mean she's just fat? And I would put thanks on everyone's posts but I haven't figured out how to do that yet!

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
The thanks button is right under the post to the right. But I'm not sure as a cavy cager you can do that. Not positive. But is the stomach is not firm then that means that she wouldn't be pregnant. But when of my girls was pregnant at the almost end she weighed about three pounds...after the pregnancy she went to about 1-1 1 1/2 pounds. But if it feels kind of squishy and not firm that means no babies.

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Well, my advice...baby-proof the cage anyways. Its super easy, cheap...and if you DO have pups, they will be safe and sound. Also, continue to monitor her progress. She may not be far anough along to be firm yet, very similar to human pregnancy, the mother's stomach is not super firm until the last trimester! But, she does look like Dolce did. So, to save yourself from the panic of having 4 or 5 little creatures crawling around your room at 5 in the morning... just take some precautions. If you're really concerned, take her into a vet. Other than that, just keep your eye on her :)

lafrolo

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh! Just now I was kind of squeezing Chantilly's stomach really gently and then carefully moving my fingers outward...and I felt something moving and heard squeaking coming from inside of her! Could the movement just have been her intestines or something or are those higher up? Because it also could have been Till squealing...but I could have sworn it was coming from inside her belly. I think I've got a pregnant pig!

The whole reason I adopted was to avoid this, and it happened anyway.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Have you called the rescue and informed them yet?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.