Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Could I give my cold to my GP??

OMIPIGGIE

Cavy Slave
Just wondering.. but could I give my cold to my pig? I heard that you could, but I've been taking lots of precautions, like washing hands before/after touching my pig and food and stuff. Just wanted to know because I wasn't sure. :/
Oh P.S. : I didn't know what to put for prefix so I just put conditions..

I don't think so, but good to always wash hands as you are doing now. Feel better soon !

Thanks haha :)

Hi All,

I believe you can get your pigs sick if you have a cold. I was just on the phone recently with my exotics vet talking about one of my girls having an URI and she heard me cough. She asked if I was sick, exactly because I could pass it on to the pigs. In fact, I had just gone to garage to fill in their hay and, though I'm not really allergic, it does sometimes make me cough or sneeze.

When I realized that one of my pigs very likely had an URI and I needed to take her to emergency vet, I asked them if I should separate her, Charlotte, from BJ, my other pig and the emergency gal said if one was already sick the other was already exposed and separating them is stressful so best to keep them together which I did and after a short round of antibiotics, (Orbax) they are both fine.

So, just thought I would pass along my experience with transmission of colds and hope more experienced folks will make corrections if I got something wrong.

thanks

If it's bacterial, it is contagious. If it's viral, no. The problem is, you don't know very often if what you have is bacterial or viral unless you have a culture taken. To be on the safe side, try not to handle them much if you're sick and try not to cough or sneeze around them. Practice good hand washing hygiene and that should protect everyone.

Thanks for the clarification, Pinky. I guess snuggling and kissing ought to be postponed until pigs are all well then.

When I have a cold I don't do any piggie face kisses just to be safe, so maybe steer clear of that. Also, oviously make sure your hands are clean, but that's a given if you practice good hygiene.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.