Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

could I get a color opinion please?

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I couldn't come up with where it ought to be posted!

I'm making a new table-skirt for our guinea pig cage. And since it's between our living room & school room and they're both decorated with a Renaissance look I thought it would be fun to make it look castle-y. I found these window valances - eBay: NEW 2 "BURGANDY/GOLD V-STYLE VALANCES" GORGEOUS (item 4469050205 end time Nov-16-06 14:47:19 PST) and want to use them to make an over-skirt.

I am thinking that either a solid velvet or satin (to be decided at the store, based on price) fabric would make a nice under-skirt to peek out at the bottom. But what color would look good? The walls in my living room are red, and brown in the school room... so just about any color would "work." What would you do with gold & deep red? I keep thinking deep blue; does that work?
love,
mom

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Wow that will look so gorgeous. Velvet or Satin! I personally love anything with satin and I've spent a small fortune on satin dresses for different formal events. Honestly if i was in your position I would go with a golden satin. Not yellow, but GOLD. The color of this smiley -> (lol ) is sort of what I'm refering to. However, I think any fall color or earth tones will go wonderfully.

My own cage (under construction) has a rainbow theme so any color works, which makes it a lot easier when coordinating. Then again, this house has colors which completely clash because mom lets us pick the colors of the different areas according to our own personal tastes. My own room is a very bright orange on 2 walls and this color on the other 2.

Edit- You could also go with a deep green in velvet, sort of like a forest green.

Second edit- By the way, the page says the bidding for the item ended.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
My son suggested green too - it's his favorite color. I was just afraid it might look a little too "Christmas," no? I guess maybe what I should do is just bring one of the valances with me to the store. That way I can be sure to pick something that goes well with it. I do like the idea of gold... I'm just afraid of it clashing with the gold trim. Oh, and my kitchen (also open to the school & living room) is a sunflower yellow VERY similar to the smiley color - which could make for some interesting color matching.

Oh, and the bidding did end... but I was one of the winning bids. That's how I know I'll be using those!

I can't wait to see your rainbow cage. It sounds so fun!
love,
mom

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Hmm. I wouldn't do velvet. It would grab all the dust and hairs and hay wouldn't it? Satin would be good I think..everything slides right off satin..

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
My son suggested green too - it's his favorite color. I was just afraid it might look a little too "Christmas," no? I guess maybe what I should do is just bring one of the valances with me to the store. That way I can be sure to pick something that goes well with it. I do like the idea of gold... I'm just afraid of it clashing with the gold trim. Oh, and my kitchen (also open to the school & living room) is a sunflower yellow VERY similar to the smiley color - which could make for some interesting color matching.

Bringing in your sample is the best way to go, that way you can be absolutely positively sure that everything will match. I always print out a color from the computer when I go makeup or clothes shopping so I'm sure that I'll get the exact color I originally liked, and I also take my own clothes when I buy new ones so I can color-coordinate. If you can find a golden color the exact same one as the trim in your fabric then I suggest you use it. That's one of my favorite color combinations - reddish and gold. Turquoise and gold looks beautiful, too, but that would go horribly with your colors. I'm not sure about going with green now because of what you mentioned - it's too typical of christmas. I hate dressing up in red and green because of that reason, and also I don't do orange and black because then it's too Halloween. Your house sounds like it has gorgeous colors, I'll have to talk with mum and give her some ideas based on your own house. Yo have great taste!

Hmm. I wouldn't do velvet. It would grab all the dust and hairs and hay wouldn't it? Satin would be good I think..everything slides right off satin..

That's a good point. I have velvet cushions on my bed and they are pretty full of animal hair. Pup is shedding and the bunny sleeps on them and the hair is very hard to get out, it's not like you can shake it and they come off because the hairs are sort of embedded into the fabric. I don't use a vaccum because it frightens all the animals. When I do clean them up I have to use those lint/hair removers, which are like little rolls with disposable adhesive that you roll on the dirty fabric and the dust/hair sticks to the sticky part. Then you just discard the used adhesive. I've found that they are extremely practical and quick.

I don't know about the satin, since my dresses are precious to me and they are very well covered up in those dress protectors and hanged apart from the other clothes in a special armoire. I suppose things would slide off too, although mine have never come in contact with dust or animal hairs or even food (I refrain from eating and drinking when I use them to avoid accidents).

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
WOW, I love the fabric you got. I think it is a great idea to dress up your cage to make the room look nice, and I think I might have a go at something like that too when I finally decide what materials to make my cage out of. We can't get hold of the cubes in Australia these days, so I am getting the thinking cap on with some of the suggestions I have been given here.

It is great to find a couple of homeschoolers on the site!!! We have been doing it for 7 years now, and it works really well for us. It is becoming a more popular option here in Australia in recent years. How many children are you homeschooling?

Looking forward to chatting with you on the site.

Victoria

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Ohh, I hadn't thought about the velvet catching hay... that's a really good point. Okay, so satin is sounding better after all.

Claudie - thank you so much for the compliment, but I'm afraid I can't take credit for the colors in my home. My sister came over one day and informed me that it was time to paint my stark-white walls. It was she who chose the colors based on my love of fall colors. I was scared to death of putting colors that dark on my walls, but she told me I had to trust her. And two years later I am still in awe of what it's done to my house. The LR/DR is tomato red. The school/library is paper-bag brown, and the kitchen & hallway are a very bright sunflower yellow. It just makes me SO happy to be living in so much rich color!

Ruftybear - wow, 7 years? That's awesome! I've been officially homeschooling my kids for... wow, this is our 6th year! (can you believe I hand't counted that up yet?) I'm homeschooling my daughter who is in 1st grade, and my son who will be starting 5th in January. A homeschooling friend in New Zealand has said the same thing - that homeschooling is really spreading "down under" right now.
love,
mom

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.