Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Could I flush hay down the toilet?

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Before, I've been vacuuming up their hay and poo via the central vacuum in the house. But I've found that it's clogging / making mold in the vat where all the vacuumed-thing go.

Other than buying a hand-vac, I've thought of flushing the poo and hay down the toilet. But, would this potentially clog up the toilet / pipes?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hay will inevitably eventually clog the pipes. The poop, you can flush without issue.

For the hay, I'd either collect it in a bag and toss it out or find a spot in the yard where it can be disposed of.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've always collected and picked up the larger and "stronger" pieces. I toss these in a plastic bag. The smaller pieces I can vacuum up.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
Um just wondering im not that familiar with this forum how do i start a new thread?!?!

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
Um just wondering im not that familiar with this forum how do i start a new thread?!?!

Click on one of the categories ( about guinea pigs, cages, the cafe) and click post new thread.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hay will DEFINITELY clog the plumbing, and sooner rather than later. Don't do it.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I just sweep up poo and hay at the same time, put them in my mini garbage can with a plastic bag liner, and every day or so, pick up the bag and throw it away. We have a compost bin, so when it's time for the weekly cleaning, I just shake onto the pile. (I would do that when I spot clean, but my other trash goes into the same can)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.