Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare Coturnix(Japanese) Quails

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
So in my science class we are hatching Coturnix( otherwise known as Japanese) quails. Well, the other day two hatched but we lost one. He drowned himself in the water feeder and he got stuck and no one helped him. I was not in the class because if I was-excuse my language- xxxx would have hit the fan. People stood there laughing at a thrashing baby quail! Oh I was mad when I found this out!

So today, I walk in and there's a newly hatched chick but he is very sickly. I had to take him out as try to feed him with a dropper. This kid named Gabe started talking about him dying and death so I covered the chick with my other hand(basically cupping him between my two hands), turned around and yelled, in his face, " WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU!? Can you just shut your annoying and stupid trap for five minutes so I don't have to worry about you hovering over my back, scaring the chick to death with your FACE!" the teacher was right there and my teacher started laughing! He told Gabe to go sit down and I tried to care for the chick. Sadly, by the time I actually got the chance to try to nurture him, he was to far gone and he lost his will to fight. I gave him CPR for five minutes. I want to be a vet when I grow up so I guess this was the good Lord letting me know that not everyone can be saved... I just needed to rant. Sorry guys if anyone took offense to this. I did not get in trouble an my teacher gave me the job as head chick caregiver/ emergency caretaker. I'm in 4-H so i know the general go around of all farm animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
That's really sad. It seems like more and more people consider life (other than their own) to be disposable - and who cares who gets hurt in the process. What happens to the quails when the project is done?

You could write a letter to your teacher (and possibly the principal) to express the feelings about this matter. Back it up with lots of facts that support your stance. The written word in the form of a letter tends to get taken more seriously. :)

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Aww. That's so sad. I too, want to be a vet, so I can save little animal's lives, just like that. I'm so sorry that the world had no mercy for the lives animals have in our hands. :(

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
The chicks will go to the orchestras teachers house. He lives on a farm and I personally give him a thumbs up. He keeps the animals in great conditions and his daughters are so sweet and the older ones are very nice to me. A person shows their true selves by how they treat their animals. That's my mantra.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
A person shows their true selves by how they treat their animals. That's my mantra.
I truly believe this also! I am so sorry you had to go through that it must have been awful for you!

CharScoobJoey

Cavy Slave
:weepy: How sad. You are such a kind and thoughtful person, I wish to be a vet someday to, I am sure you would make a great one. I remember I would always save the bugs that fell into the pool back in elementary school and all the kids would make fun of me. :/ I hate it when people think that animal deaths/animal abuse is funny. Absolutely hate it! :tombstone quails

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Thank you all. The chicks will be going to the farm today.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
That is absolutely awful. Thank you for trying to save the chick. I think I would have done the same, had I been in that situation. It just makes me sad, that so many people don't get why we want to be vets and work with animals. It's so wrong that they treat any form of life as disposable or worthless.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I know! People rub me the wrong wy if they mistreat animals...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.