Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cotton

vince

Cavy Slave
Today at about 10:30 A.M. My beloved Cotton passed away. She developed a URI late sunday afternoon, unfortunatly by the time a vet could see her it was to late. My whole being hurts. Cotton was a long haired white girl with the cuties red eyes and the most loveable manner.

Cotton is pictured at the side of the post.

She looked like a real sweetie & surely fit her name.
Me & my piggers weeeeeeep for you. :guilty:

I am sooo sorry about your loss! I am sure she is running in a huge garden of veggies right now! With all she can eat! *hugs* and best wishes from my herd and I!

I am so sorry that you lost Cotton.

Sorry for your loss.

I am sorry that you lost your dear Cotton.:sad:

So sorry...:love:

Becky

Thank you all.for caring.

Thank you all for caring

i am so sorry to here this. when my pig lucy died i thought about all the good times i had with her it always helps.

Cotton's death is something I don't think I'll ever get over totally. I see little piggies that look like her and my heart just breaks. She has a sister Fluff who looks like her alot and I have caught myself calling her Cotton on occasion. I am trying to remember to treat Fluff like Fluff. I have a new pig named angel who is all black and long haired. She is jumpy as all get out right now but while she will never be able to take Cottons place in my heart I love her.

So sorry about your Cotton. *hugs* Rest in Love, Cotton.

RIP Cotton. It seems we've lost alot of piggies lately. She'll be in good company. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm so so sorry. It always hurts to loose a pet.

I'm sorry for your loss, Vince. I haven't lost a guinea pig, but given their lifespan, I know it will come. I have had my cat die in my arms, and the only thing I can tell you is that it won't hurt like this forever. Take care!

I just got the Vet bill for Cotton. I don't know if what I am seeing is what it seems like to me. Heres a breakdown minus the cost let me know what you think

Exotic Examination
Radiograph 1st 8x10
Oxygen Therapy
Inj- Baytril 100mg/ml

That seems like quite a lot of Baytril for a pig who was less than 8 months old. Could someone let me know if thats correct or not and give me some links to something to document it either way. I need to know if I can trust the Vets at the clinic or if I need to find a new one ASAP.

In regards to your Baytril questions, 100 mg/ml sounds a little funny to me (are you sure you wrote it down correctly?). Generally, dosages are given in terms of mg/kg. While Baytril is used in guinea pigs often, it is given off-label. It is only approved for dogs and cats (livestock is a whole different story, but I won't bore anyone). Bayer (the maker of Baytril) recommends 2.5-5 mg/kg if given every 12 hours and 5-10 mg/kg if given every 24 hours.

However, I want to point out that we really don't know the pharmacokinetics of most drugs in small mammals. It's mostly guess work. Not to overwhelm with information here, but I'm just a poor, bored vet student. :)

Boy do I feel stupid now! I just searched on VIN (a veterinary website) and Baytril 100 is the strength injection used in cattle.

Small animal: BAYTRIL® Rx (enrofloxacin) Antibacterial Injectable Solution 2.27%. (Every ml contains 22.7 mg of Baytril.)
Cattle: BAYTRIL® 100 Rx (enrofloxacin) 100 mg/mL Antimicrobial Injectable Solution. (Every ml contains 100 mg of Baytril.)

I want to comment that I'm only a vet STUDENT (who happens to be taking pharmacology right now), so don't take my word as the bottom line. You might double check this on GuineaLynx before bringing it up with your vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.