Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cost Efficiency?

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Money has been a bit tight after building the huge C&C condo. I have about $225 to last me till October and then some. I still want to provide only the best for my pets, but I was wondering what do you save on or get discounted or do to save the most money? As I know, some people spend up to $150 monthly! My grandparents are giving me horse hay from my horse, so that is free. Any ideas? :)

My local grocery store saves me corn husks and silks for my pigs. I'm sure they'd save other scraps as well, but I've only got two, and it's not really worth it ask them to save it for me. I do know that some people with large herds of pigs make regular scrap pickups at their groceries.

Once the cage is out of the way, I think guinea pig care is relatively cheap. Fruits and veggies only cost me a few dollars here and there. I buy hay in bulk from KMS, so it ends up cheaper in the long run compared to buying small bags of hay from pet stores.

Your biggest expenses will be vet bills. Be sure to keep a very close eye on your pigs. The faster you catch symptoms, the cheaper the vet bills (hopefully).

Do you have a job? My dad is helping me with rent and school payments, but I got myself a job to help save money for my pigs. I highly recommend getting a job! It'll really really help.

I agree with @Kieri. Having a job will certainly help. If you are able, you should consider saving a fraction of your monthly income into a "vet fund" for when your guinea pigs get sick. So if your guinea pig gets sick, you'll have a cushion to fall back on.

Buying hay in bulk (I buy mine from a local hay farm) will save lots of money, as you already do. I also buy my pellets there, and it's significantly cheaper and comes in a larger size. Vegetables can be expensive but you just have to find the cheapest places to buy them. Some grocery stores by me charge $3 for a head of red leaf lettuce, but at another store I can get it for only 99 cents.

What do you use for bedding? If you use disposable, that is going to cost you a LOT. I use fleece and that saves me hundreds of dollars each year. Check out this page: Tasha's Tails: Writings from Amy and her cavies: fleece.

Good luck!

I am thinking of saving a vet fund. How much should I put away monthly? I am also going to be purchasing KMS hay in the future once I finsh the free hay bag my grandparents gave me from my horse. I use 3/4 fleece and 1/4 CareFresh in my cage, but I am still deciding about switching because of smell issues. I also use CareFresh in my rabbits' litter boxes, so that consumes quickly also.

If you can, try to do all of your shopping online.
I've noticed that there are usually better deals online.
Other than that, try and earn some extra money.
Babysit, walk people's dogs, mow lawns, etc..

I'm curious as to where you get that people spend $150+ a month on their pets.
I pay for my guinea pig and my rabbit, and I don't spend nearly that much, and I feed oxbow, use Carefresh, and feed tons of fresh veggies. So I don't really understand where that number came from.

Anyways, good luck! I hope this kind of helps, and you're able to get everything you need for your pets! :eek:

Aside from vet visits, which hopefully will not happen monthly, your biggest expense will probably be produce. Depending on how many pigs you have, you could spend more or less on that.

If you are looking to cut costs, I recommend using fleece for your bedding (if you don't already). Carefresh is good bedding but it's expensive and doesn't last long. One brick will fill a 2X4 or 2X5 cage (depending on how thin you spread it) and buying a brick of it every week, can add up.

Aside from vet visits, which hopefully will not happen monthly, your biggest expense will probably be produce.

For me, produce is actually my smallest expense. I'm only feeding two small animals, but I'm also lucky enough to live in an agricultural(?) area. (Basically fruits and vegetables are grown in my area, so it's pretty cheap. Even organic!) I've noticed from visiting family in other states that produce is more expensive because it's not grown there. So I mean, depending on where you live, it might not be the biggest expense. :)

Emerald, what is your average spending on your guinea pig and rabbit? Mine would be quite similar as I buy the same stuff but just have two guinea pigs and two bunnies. Thanks!

So I mean, depending on where you live, it might not be the biggest expense. :)

Well, what I mean is, even if it's not expensive where you are, it's something that you will be buying on a regular basis meaning it's a continuous expense. So it does add up.

Emerald, what is your average spending on your guinea pig and rabbit? Mine would be quite similar as I buy the same stuff but just have two guinea pigs and two bunnies. Thanks!

I guess after thinking about it, it's about $75 a month.
So I guess for you, your estimate was right. Oops!
Although I think I read somewhere that if you have two, you aren't paying double. But I'm not sure. Also, if your rabbits are larger and eat more, they can cost more money. Mine is a smaller breed, so he doesn't eat as much as say a Flemish giant would.

Sorry I didn't really think through your statement!

Well, what I mean is, even if it's not expensive where you are, it's something that you will be buying on a regular basis meaning it's a continuous expense. So it does add up.

Very true! Again, totally didn't think through what you said. (That's what I get for foruming while half asleep. I really need to stop that. :D)

I estimate I spend around 50$ a month, almost all of that in veggies. Every month I buy veggies and pellets for the piggies. I use fleece for bedding and bought a bail of hay back in september(?) for 15$ that I still have. I have 4 guinea pigs.

For a vet ER fund I would suggest between 200 and 500 dollars depending on how many animals you have, weather your parents will chip in to help and how quickly you can replace the money if you need to use it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.