Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Correct weight

sarah0712

Cavy Slave
I weighed my piggies today as I'd like to check their weight regularly to check that they are growing properly and not putting too much weight.

They were both around 800g and they are approx just under 4 months old. Is this about right for their age?

I think the gender might be relevant for answering this question, since boars are often bigger than sows. Although, I'm pretty sure the important thing is they aren't losing weight.

I think the gender might be relevant for answering this question, since boars are often bigger than sows. Although, I'm pretty sure the important thing is they aren't losing weight.

I agree, also body style seems to play a roll.

They are sows :)

Also I read on a vet website a female that is between 2-3 months is about 500 grams

I really think that it depends on your pig. I have a 7 year old female pig who's small and only weighs about 960 or so grams. But then I have two 1 year old (also female) pigs who both top over 1100 or so grams. The last two pigs are not fat but rather just really big - bigger boned, longer body, etc. So, it does matter on the piggie size and genetics. Some are born to be larger and some are born to be on the smaller side.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.