Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Coroplast Pieces from Cage Store - Can I make a base out of them?

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
So I'm looking at the coroplast pieces here:
http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/store/p/148-5-29x48-Coroplast-Pieces.html#.U0XJRq1dV-g

With shipping, I can get 5 29x48 pieces for $33. That's roughly 2x4 feet a sheet, but there is five of them.

My cage is 4 feet by 4 feet long. I want to make a coroplast bottom for it, and I also want a 4-6 inch lip (just to keep the poops in, I use fleece, so it doesn't need to be terribly high.

For the bottom of the cage alone I would need... (2) 2x4 feet pieces, correct?
So that would definitely leave me enough to make the lip.

I just don't know how I would... keep the coroplast pieces together? It definitely all couldn't be done in one piece. I'd be cutting and... having to attach multiple pieces together, somehow. Any ideas?

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
You could use clear packing tape to join them. You could get four 48 inch long lips or sides (6 inches high) out of one piece. If you're worried about them nibbling on the lip, you could make a fleece sleeve for each one.

This is something I've thought about a few times. I have a 4 ft x 4ft piece of coroplast in the base of my cages, which are the same size as yours. It's great, but at that size it's awkward to handle and clean. I haven't done it yet but I am thinking about halfing each piece to make it easier for me to get out and clean. You do need to have it on a good solid base though - I've got mine on a 48" x 48" low table.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
My cage is on the floor, I don't think it can get much more solid ;) lol

My worry with the tape is... Well, My lip is currently out of cardboard. I originally had the lip on the inside of the cage bars, but my girls were tearing the clear packaging tape off of the cardboard! So I had to remake it, on the outside of the cage bars... which does not work as well at all. I'm afraid they would try to tear the tape off again.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
And thank you for the math for the lip, that's very helpful!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
So I'm looking at the coroplast pieces here:
http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/store/p/148-5-29x48-Coroplast-Pieces.html#.U0XJRq1dV-g

With shipping, I can get 5 29x48 pieces for $33. That's roughly 2x4 feet a sheet, but there is five of them.

My cage is 4 feet by 4 feet long. I want to make a coroplast bottom for it, and I also want a 4-6 inch lip (just to keep the poops in, I use fleece, so it doesn't need to be terribly high.

For the bottom of the cage alone I would need... (2) 2x4 feet pieces, correct?
So that would definitely leave me enough to make the lip.

I just don't know how I would... keep the coroplast pieces together? It definitely all couldn't be done in one piece. I'd be cutting and... having to attach multiple pieces together, somehow. Any ideas?

I have bought that a few times, since I always get black I just use gorrilla tape, to tape the two halves together. Its a pain but less of a pain over driving 90minutes one way to get big sheets of coroplast.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Well I can get a piece at HomeDepot for $13 that is 6 feet by 3 feet...
So I'd need at least 2 pieces, which would come out to 28... but I'm not sure if I would have extra for the lip? I don't know which is better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.