Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Coroplast in Midwest cage

fffortescue

Cavy Slave
I recently bought a Midwest cage for the piggies that I will be getting on Sunday.
I would have gotten a C&C cage, but I had a really good deal on the Midwest and I needed something by Sunday.
I will probably look more into a C&C cage in the future.
The only downside I've read about the Midwest cage is the canvas liner absorbing odors.
I was wondering if it'd be possible to put coroplast on top of the canvas? Not folded or anything, just a sheet placed on top.
And then I would have the uhaul/towels/fleece/etc layer on top of the coroplast.
I was also wondering if I could do the same with a plastic shower curtain?
Just anything to have in between the fleece layers and the canvas so it doesn't stink.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Yes to both coroplast and shower curtain.
With shower curtain, you'll have to make sure the pigs won't be able to dig fleece and towel up to chew on the shower curtain.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
It works best if you make a box with the coro because they tend to pee in corners which is where the canvas liner is hard to clean. Look at my profile page under photo albums and there's a photo of the Midwest cage with a coro liner. The coro was only $12 from Home Depot.

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
I made a bottom liner out of plastic flexible cutting boards (thin ones, almost like a plastic placemat), some tape and clear contact paper. I found the cutting boards at Aldi for less than $5 and I had the rest at home. Coro might have been easier, but I find cutting coroplast to be a pain in the rear! My fleece bends up the sides, so I've never had the pee in the corner issue. I created it, not because pee/water was soaking through the fleece, but because my fleece is in two sections and I just shoo the pigs to one side, remove the fleece, shake it out, return the fleece and reverse. When I would take out one side of the fleece, I had a pig who would run to the bare side and pee right on the midwest liner! It drove me nuts and I worried about lingering smells even though it was cleaned up within a minute, so I happened to be at Aldi, saw the cutting boards, and voila!

Last edited:

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
I have a shower curtain under my fleece in my Midwest. I'm thinking I may eventually just replace make a coroplast box to drop in, the canvas is hard to keep cleen enough. But I got it for such a good deal I don't mind.

fffortescue

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help, everyone!
I have to stop by the dollar store to get a dustpan/broom combo and a spray bottle so I'll look for a shower curtain to try.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.