Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Corn Husks

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
We are having corn for dinner tonight so I saved a bunch of the husks for the pigs!

I was just wondering how I should feed them to the pigs? It is safe to put just one leaf or husk per guinea pig in there and let them munch away, or should I cut them up into smaller pieces?

Thanks!

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I serve up the long pieces and the piggies chew them up with no problem. I always grab a bag of husks from the garbage can when I'm at the grocery store (they have a dedicated can so the husks are clean). I hope your piggies enjoy them as much as Borat and Amy do.

It was suggested to cut the silk into shorter pieces so the pieces don't get caught up and tangled in the intestine. The long husk pieces are OK. Just don't feed too much, it's considered junk food, with little nutrition. It is good to wear their teeth down, tho'.

I give on husk per pig and I trim it against the strings with scissors.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I gave a little strip to each pig and they were gone in practically seconds.

yeah my pigs LOVE them almost as much as cilantro and carrots! ;)

I give my pigs the silks and husks from a half or whole ear of corn every day that I can find some. If the ear is small, they get it all. If larger, just half.

Just be sure to strip off all the outer husks of the corn and cut the brown tops of the silks off. Corn is grown with a lot of pesticides, and you don't want to feed that to your pigs.

I chop the silks in short lengths, but just separate the husks into long thin strips. Watching the pigs eat the husks is like watching a kid sucking up a strand of spaghetti.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.