Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Corn husks/leaves

WaxButterfly

Cavy Slave
Is it okay to feed piggies the husks (leaves) off of corn on the cob? I ask because I saw a video of a girl feeding her piggies some but the husk is awful stringy to me so I'm not sure it would be safe? Or corn on the cob in general.

Also, does anyone know a store where I can purchase Orchard grass hay? My vet told me the Bulk Barn when she recommended it because that's what she feeds her pigs, but their site doesn't say they have any. I'm going to check the store anyways but is there any place else that sells it? Not online thanks.

Corn husks and silks are fine. They'll love you for it! The cob I'm not sure of since corn in itself isn't good.

I buy my Oxbow Timothy Hay at a Pet Food Warehouse Store. I wanted to switch to Orchard Grass and found out they can order it from their supplier. Sweet!

But better yet, I went on Graigs list and found a farmer who's selling Orchard Grass for $3 a bale in my own town. Better yet.:cool:

Oh that's pretty lucky about the hay!

So Oxbow Orchard Grass from pet supply stores is okay? Is it soft?

My piggies love husks. Check your grocery store as they often have a can for the husks near the corn display. You can take as much as you want for free.

Corn husks and silks are fine, but just be sure to strip off the outer greenest husks and trim off the ends of the silks. Corn is grown with a lot of pesticides, so you need to get rid of all that.

The cob is ok for them, and I occasionally give mine a bit of corn. Corn is engineered to have lots of sugar in it these days, so I treat it like a fruit and only give it very sparingly. However, my pigs get husks and silks every day that I can find them.

My piggies love husks. Check your grocery store as they often have a can for the husks near the corn display. You can take as much as you want for free.

Oh really? That's great to know!

With regard to hay, I suggest that you look around for local farm supply stores or feed stores for bales of hay. If you don't have room to store a bale, perhaps get a friend to share in the purchase.

I highly doubt someone would want to share in the purchase of a bale of hay. Especially considering I don't live on a farm nor relatively near one. :/

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll make sure to properly cut and strip the husks :)

Well I live in Canada so looks like I can't order from those sites. Drs. Foster & Smith can't ship the hay by air. Oh well, I don't have a credit card anyways.

I'm pretty sure I can get the stuff in my local pet supply store. My sister's friend works in one so I'll see if he carries it and if he can give me a deal :)

So I ended up buying Oxbow Western Timothy Hay because the pet supply store didn't have Orchard Grass, and only had a variety of Kaytee and some other brand I didn't bother looking at.

So far Wilson seems to be enjoying it but he was never very picky when it came to his hay lol

Petco has it for like 7 dollars for a decent size bag. If you arent offended about buying from petstore

As I don't live in the United States we don't have Petco here. Only PJ's Pets (which is ridiculously over priced on everything), Petsmart, and Pet Valu. My sister's friend works in a Pet Valu, although he works at a location in the city where we used to live so it's not like he's relatively close. Fortunately I know of two Pet Valu's in my town I just don't know if they carry Orchard grass.

I'll probably just end up checking the Bulk Barn next time since my vet said I could get it there.

Canada grows a huge percentage of the world's hay. Look around for farms that grow long strand grass hay, or feed stores. You should be able to find a bale of hay for less than you're paying for a small bag in a pet store.

After buying hay anywhere from 3 - 9 lb. bags, I finally got smart and bought the 50 lb. box. I'm still saving myself about .90 a lb. Now if I can get from a local farmer the price will .04 cents a pound. Not bad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.