Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Convincing mom about C&C Cage.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Tell her that if your guinea pig(s) continues to live in "just a house to sleep in", then that "house" is also the litterbox, and the guinea pig will be living, eating, drinking, and sleeping amongst soiled bedding and poop.

Maybe try to use an analogy, like: "The way my guinea pig is living now, is similar to someone locking their cat up in it's litterbox, and having the cat eat, play, sleep and drink in it's litterbox all day."

vicky2

Cavy Slave
That's pretty disgusting but I think it'll actually work.
Thanks!!!

Piggly is I

Cavy Slave
I hope this all works out, my mom was very keen on not getting a bigger cage. find an spect that you mom really likes like helping, saving mney, easier, smell, etc. my mom was interested once i told her that it could save money!

LisaHoney

Cavy Slave
I had the EXACT same problem with my mom. She loves my pigs to death, but she was raised in the country--animals are important, but they do not need "so much space".

Sorry but I have never heard of people in the country thinking like that.
I for example, who lives on a farm in no-mans land, do not think like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ted&Ham

Cavy Slave
I'm having the exact same problem. Well except my mom thinks cheaper is better and that our petstore cage is big enough. And that we have a tight budget.

I'm thinking of just asking her about it and then telling her that the cage we have is way to small and that they will die soon enough because its so small.

Just try your best. Tell her about the pros and cons. Tell her about hows much better it'll be to have a C&C cage.

If that doesn't work. Maye wait a little and try again!

Don't give up though. Haha. I'm new. :p

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I'm having the exact same problem. Well except my mom thinks cheaper is better and that our petstore cage is big enough. And that we have a tight budget.

A c&c cage is a lot cheaper than a petstore cage. my c&c cage cost me a little over $45 includind fleece. Most pet store cages are around $80. :eye-poppi

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I built mine for around 35 bucks... it's 26 square feet for 4 girls. Look around for yard sales. That's where I found half of my cubes!lol
Also, I DO have a coupon for $5 off Bed Bath and Beyond (If I can find it) I don't need it, and can mail it to you if you still need it!

Ted&Ham

Cavy Slave
@Froggirl: My mom says we have like no money.

Our cage was around 50 bucks I think.

I'm thinking of remodeling our old cage like taking off the top and the sides and putting it together to make it bigger.

Vickey, if you still haven't gotten one yet, then good luck again. :]

geminiwave

Cavy Slave
I didn't have a huge problem with my parents when I was younger. My mom was mostly in charge and as soon as two of my brothers left for college we had LOADS more space. Anyway my room mates are kind of more of a problem. One of them is really whiny about it and another one gets so angry about how many pets we have. Seriously...2 guinea pigs and a 10 gallon fish tank. Thats NOT that much. Anyway we also have such a huge house right now so I was like...whatever. I just did it in the end. I'm glad I did. The pigs are SO MUCH HAPPIER.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
If you haven't already, maybe show her some of the pages from here about the benefits of the C&C cage over the store-bought cages. Show her the testimonials page.

You might consider making it a project you two could work on together. You could go to pick out fleece together, look for grids/coroplast together, etc. If she feels like she's part of it and has her hand in the planning, she might be more likely to get on board with the idea.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Anyway my room mates are kind of more of a problem. One of them is really whiny about it
Sounds like my husband lol My cage used to be 4x6. He won the battle. Now it's down to 2x6.

WheekiePiggy123

Cavy Slave
My father wasn't to thrilled of the idea of getting a bigger cage especially since it's sits in our living room. I showed him the website and asked him to just read up about it before dismissing the idea. He eventually gave in and now loves the C&C cage! Maybe you can ask her to at least read up about the cage and even read everyone's comment's in here. I hope everything works out for you!

wonderwhiskers

Cavy Slave
Ask her if you can keep using the old cage, and set the cubes around one side of it (like a caravan with a yard) so you saving money, but the pigs are still fully enclosed and have somewhere to run.

Or ask if you can buy the new c+c, and sell the old cage so its like upgrading for very very cheap!

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave

Try selling your old cage on craiglist. Just be sure to say it is a hamster cage or something because no petstore cage is big enough for a guinea pig. You might actually make money from it

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave

Try selling your old cage on craiglist. Just be sure to say it is a hamster cage or something because no petstore cage is big enough for a guinea pig. You might actually make money from it

Jasper_Hale

Cavy Slave
Also, I know you said money wasn't a problem, but you could also use those For Sale signs like for houses and things like that. The don't cost a penny (besides gas money to go get them), but they certanly don't look the best. They do work though. That is what I did and that way I saved about $25 on coroplast.

Did you convince her yet? Good luck!!

vicky2

Cavy Slave
I forgot to update this like two weeks ago...
I got a temporary 2x3 up in my moms/living room. She will be moved into my room sometime this month in an even bigger cage. I'm talking 2x5-2x6 because in October my mom and I will be adopting two more furry babies to keep Lucky company. Thanks for everyones help!!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
That's great. I'm so happy for you.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Vicky, for reference and help to others facing the same situation, can you tell the members how you convinced your mom to let you build a larger cage and about adopting more piggers?

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Sure! I might not be a very good example about the cage though... Anyway:
I've just been telling my mom how she would like to live in a closet or think of locking a cat in a litterbox and having it live in that litterbox. She really wanted to say yes but she would be embarrassed in front of my family. I went ahead and bought grids from Target and accidently dropped them in a puddle making them un-returnable. Since I paid for everything and pay for everything (including her food, bedding, etc.), she finally let me build a temp cage in her/living room until my room is redone and I make space to move her back in.
For adopting, I went onto maybe three-five different sites (including this one), and went searching through the forums on anything I could find on Guinea Pig social life. I ended up with a 17 page report of things copied and pasted (with sources) and changed the font down so it became 14 pages. I printed them out and had my sister (any adult that aggrees with you will work) come over and we presented it to my mom and she said if my grades are 85+ during the first trimester, we could buy another Guinea Pig. I did not agree. So then I informed my mom that I would like to adopt from a great rescue I found and that they usually adopt out in pairs. So that's the deal.
Hopefully that will help people in my previous situation. And if anyone wants that 14 page report, message me and I can pm or e-mail it to you. :D