Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Convincing mom about C&C Cage.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
I'm going to the mall tomorrow and Bed Bath & Beyond is right next to the mall so I'm going to go get cubes!lol
I asked my mom if she has any coupons and she said no. Then she went on saying how I shouldn't waste my money on that stuff like I do for vegetables!:eek:hmy: Then she went on saying how she knows what I'm going to do so I shouldn't even bother. The problem is that she won't let me build a C&C Cage. I explain to her over and over again but she doesn't understand! I really don't care about her opinion but it would really be nice to have someone on my side so does anyone have any suggestions on how to convince her to let me build a C&C Cage? I'm really desperate and this will be my last try so please list anything good you can think of about C&C Cages. Sorry for the longish post and thanks in advance!!!:eek:

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I had this same problem. I printed a bunch of stuff out about how more space = happy guinea pigs. I gave my mom and my dad copies of what I printed out. Then I measured and taped a part on the floor whare the cage would go. I wrote down a list of things I needed to buy, where to get them, and how much they cost. I made a list of the pros and cons (none) of C&C cages. I also made a list of things that I would to around the house if I got a c&c cage (I like making lists lol)

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
From the point of fview of a mother of teenagers: Your mother is to be commended for raising a child who is so responsible and concerned for other living things that you researched and want to provide the best care for your pet that you can. That says a lot about you as a person, and reflects well on her and her parenting.

With regards to the cage-- have you asked your mom what her objections are to the bigger cage? It's hard to offer suggestions on what specifically to say without knowing why she opposes building one.

If she's concerned about the space it will take up-- is the cage in your room? Or somewhere very public, like the living room?

If she's concerned about odor-- I found that any odor problems were dramatically improved when we made the cage bigger. The bigger cage is actually EASIER to clean and to keep clean.

If she's concerned about the cost of supplies-- have you told her how little it will actually cost? You could always resell the current petstore cage on craigslist (market it as a rat or hamster cage) to help cover the cost.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
She just doesn't like anything that I care for equally or more than her. That's how stubborn and hard-headed she is. All she says is that 'that thing' doesn't need more space and only needs a house and food. Then I tell her about space=happy and then she says take her out more. The reality is, is that I can't take her out every day but every other day and when she is in the cage she needs space. Please help?!

Piggly is I

Cavy Slave
My mother was the same way she loves animals and everything but tshe wasn't to convinced on the new cage idea. I kept showing her the web site and asked for cubes so i could make a pen for outdoor space for my single piggie at the time. Then she warmed to that idea and eventually it made it's way as the official cage, it doesn't take up a lot of room because its shoved into a small space next to this computer desk. If you found a small space like that and told her it wouldn't be in the way, maybe she would look at it different.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
I have the perfect space! Just shift over two bookcases and and get rid of junk I never use and walla! A hole in the wall that can be easily filled! She doesn't think I should move anything because 'it's her house'. Even though we rent. Any other suggestions?

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
I just told my mom about them. She loves animals, but she doesn't think they need a HUGE cage. I told her it doesn't have to be huge, just 2x3 at least. I then went to my dad and asked if he could help. I went and bought grids with my own money. I only got one box, 16 grids. I set it up, where it would go, etc. This was on the weekend so we couldn't get coroplast. On Monday, my dad surprised me by getting it! He hadn't talked to my mom even!! He helped me cut it and fit it. I showed my mom, she was like "just use the grids outside and let her eat. I was like, what are we going to do with all this coroplast then? I just use it, she has grown to like it a little more. She still tries to get me to use the pet store cage, but I tell her no.

"Accidentally" leave different pages up of this website. She might get curious and look around. My mom did. Don't give up!!! Good Luck!!

Are the bookcases and where the cage would go in your room?

Jasper_Hale

Cavy Slave
I put my pigs in the playroom, a room that hardly anyone gets into besides me and the pigs. Maybe you have a room that no one really uses or gets into? It might work for the space. (I really only use it in there because we got a puppy about 2 months ago and I don't trust her around the pigs.)

C&C Cages are expesive at first, but then you don't have to use beeding because you would probably get fleece. Of course you could you beeding if you want.

The pig(s) will have alot more room with a C&C Cage and will be much happier. They will probably popcorn more, too.

You could plan what you need, where the cage will go, plan out where the money will be coming from, and then tell your mom about the cage one more time to prove you have figured eveything out.

Good luck!

vicky2

Cavy Slave
I have six walls in my room (don't ask) and on one of the main walls, there is two bookcases and a keyboard and junk. I can move the junk the the basement where it belongs and switch the bookcases and in the middle there is a giant gap. And Fz, thank you! I'm a strong Catholic so I believe that all creatures should be treated as well as possible, unlike my mom.): And my parents are divorced and my sister doesn't live in this city. But, my brother is 26 although he wants my moms permission first. ):

vicky2

Cavy Slave
I live in a two family house but it's not very spacious so an extra room is a no go.): Money isn't an issue because I'm paying for everything with my birthday money from last month. (Thank God for a big family!!)

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Any other suggestions? I'll take ANYTHING.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Cage size isn't just about happiness, but also about health. Pigs who have more room to exercise and who's cages are less dirty (bigger cages means their mess is more spread out) are healthier, which means less vet visits (which saves money and heart break). Try to explain that this isn't a luxury you're asking for, but a necessity for their health.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Cage size isn't just about happiness, but also about health. Pigs who have more room to exercise and who's cages are less dirty (bigger cages means their mess is more spread out) are healthier, which means less vet visits (which saves money and heart break). Try to explain that this isn't a luxury you're asking for, but a necessity for their health.

I was gonna say the same thing. :)

You can tell your mom that she'll be saving money in the long run.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
C&C Cages are expesive at first, but then you don't have to use beeding because you would probably get fleece. Of course you could you beeding if you want.

My c&c cage with fleece and all cost me around $45 when it comes to cages that is cheap! My old pet store cage cost be over $80 and was only the size of a 2x1 1/2. Good luck!

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I'll try that but I'm still open to any other suggestions.:)

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Just sit down and have a calm talk with your mom about getting a c&c cage. Don't yell or anything. You want your mom to see that you are acting like an adult. Ask her why she won't let you get one.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
I have. She just thinks all she needs is a house to sleep in. WRONG!!!

Piggly is I

Cavy Slave
Tell her that her cage is her living space and that shes going to spend almost every waking minute in it, she doesn't just sleep 24/7. put it together and show her how happy your piggy is inside such a roomy space. maybe the guinea pig can get the message through.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I had the EXACT same problem with my mom. She loves my pigs to death, but she was raised in the country--animals are important, but they do not need "so much space". I spent a toooon of time talking to her about it, explaining exactly what the cage-building process involved and that I would be able to pay for everything myself, ect, ect. I eventually sat her down and had a calm, rational adult discussion about absolutely everything C&C's would do. I printed out a 22 page report from this site about how C&C's would benefit both us (smell, and entertainment) and the piggers (obvious, lolz). She agreed to it, as long as the space would be in my room, I would build it myself (with the help of my grandpa) and I would pay for it. If you use fleece, then she won't have to pay for a lot of bedding, and you can buy HUGE things of bedding at vets sometimes (stuff they use for their cages..at least, mine is a rescue/vet place so they sell toons of bedding), for very cheap. Hope I helped!!

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Hah, my mom was the same way. But my dad thought the cages were really neat, so he's the reason we got the material. We bought our Freya before finding this site so she lived in a pet store cage for awhile. Well, eventually we just built it...it disgusts my mom how big it is lol. And it's only a 2 by 3 right now.