Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Convince my mom to get my girls a friend?

CavyCraziness

Cavy Slave
Hello! :) Well, lets get started. I have two pigs, that I really want to get a friend. My friend, has a guinea pig she's giving away. Her other girl was not getting along with her. We have been making a date were she can drive here, and my mom is not letting me. I know you have no control over this, but I really truly want her. The reason my mom is saying no, is because of the vet bills. My friends mother said she would pay FULL for Dakota's pet bills. Can you guys tell me how to convince my mom? Thank you! :D

Honestly, its your mothers disunion. im 16 and i still live under my moms roof and what she says goes. if i want a third pig (witch i do) its up to her to say yes. witch she already has since i have a job and can pay for them by myself. if its your mom paying for everything and if she doesnt want to do it then that's her choice. if you don't have a job and cant take care of them on your own then its out of your hands. sorry S:

I can understand your mom's concern as I'm sure your mom is the one paying the bills. I would have the same hesitations already having two pigs if my daughter asked for a third. Has your mom talked to the other mom or has it just been you talking to her? Have your moms talk and work something out. I could go into a bunch of legal stuff like have them draw up a contract and have them each sign it which would be binding, yadda yadda yadda but I won't (but I kinda just did lol). I wish I was still young and could give better advice to the teens on here trying to convince parents but wow, that gets harder the older I get lol. I guess, if I were to put myself in your mom's shoes, I would want a signed contract by the other mom that the vet bills would be paid for. But I'm a "get it in writing" kinda gal. Good luck and keep us updated!

Honestly, its your mothers disunion. im 16 and i still live under my moms roof and what she says goes. if i want a third pig (witch i do) its up to her to say yes. witch she already has since i have a job and can pay for them by myself. if its your mom paying for everything and if she doesnt want to do it then that's her choice. if you don't have a job and cant take care of them on your own then its out of your hands. sorry S:

Perfect =)

Something may happen down the road where you friends mom will decide she won't pay for medical.

My friend is literally my best friend. And no, I have two pigs, and know how to take care of them. They are pretty spoiled, with a 2x5 cage. I buy everything, but this one vet bill, I didn't have the money. The only thing my mom pays for is the hay/pellets. The pig I want has no where to go. I don't want her to go to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Like give them colored pellets, etc. My friend does have a bunch of money, (her family) and I doubt that they'll stop paying since she lives several states away, saying she'll drive up here in two weeks, so I can have her. She wouldn't drive states away to give someone a pig, if she doesn't want to make a comitment.

I know that you have the best interests at heart, but the vet bills aren't going to go away with continuous pleading. If your mother doesn't wish to invest in getting another guinea pig, she shouldn't have to. Honestly, your pigs are fine by themselves; the cage would be below minimum at 2x5, they aren't lonely, they're healthy, they get along, their provided for...the only reason you want another guinea pig is because you want one. There is so much that could go wrong. What if they don't get along? What if you have to put this pig in an entirely different cage? Guinea pigs cost a lot of money. Best of luck, but I can definitely see your mom's standpoint on this one.

if you adopt the pig, it wouldn't be fair to make the mother of your friend pay any vet bills seeing as the pig would no longer be her responsibility. also, claiming they need to make a commitment to YOU by paying the bills is ridiculous. if you take the animal, YOU are responsible for everything- if you expect them to pay vet bills then that is just rude and selfish, not to mention very childish.

if you have two pigs already, then you don't need a third one. however, i know where you're coming from because i'd love to get a third piggy and i'm always taunting myself by looking at guinea pigs that are up for adoption. (i'm living on my own though, so i could get one if i wanted, but the cons outweigh the pros right now so it wouldn't make sense to get another one right now)

one thing stopping me is vet costs would triple. i paid $108 on a check up and cultures for both of my pigs last week. i will have to pay another $33 for medication and another $65 for a check up that is scheduled in a week. (if the culture proves my guinea pigs don't have ringworm, i will have to pay for more cultures and tests). imagine if i had three pigs- i'd have to pay for extra medication, an extra pig, and an extra vet visit cost. keep in mind if you end up with a $500+ vet bill, how fair is that to your mom that she would have to help you? she pays the bills for the house, buys food, gas, clothes, school supplies, etc.

just remember, you're under your mom's roof and she is already paying for hay and pellets. ultimately it is her decision and you should be grateful to have two guinea pigs- if you pester her too much, she may grow to resent you owning them, seeing as she will view it as you not appreciating the two pigs she allows you to keep right now.

your friend doesn't have to get rid of her pig right away- or at all. she could keep them in a large cage that is separated by grids. they won't be lonely and they won't have the chance to fight either. have you asked your friend about that option? also, if your friend has money, then i don't see the huge rush in finding a new owner when they could house her a little longer to take the time to find a good owner. actually, money or not, i don't think anyone should rehome a pet instantly without taking the time to find the perfect owner.

sorry if i sounded harsh, i'm just trying to give you the reality of the situation so you can make the right decision.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.