Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Contemplating Switching to KMS

arionat799

Cavy Slave
So, as the title says, I have been contemplating whether or not I should switch to KMS. Truth be told, it's the thread about the pig with severe diareeah (sp?) And mushy poops that got me thinking about it. And all of these "Just ordered KMS!" Threads lol.

-Is it that much better than Oxbow?

-Is it better or worse cost wise?

-What's better: 2nd cut ot 3rd cut?

-What sizing is better to order? (Again, cost wise)

Thanks for the help! And keep in mind, I am not the one who makes the big decisions around the house so I'd have to get permission everytime I order.

-Is it that much better than Oxbow?

Yes, but the bulk boxes of Oxbow actually look pretty good from what I've seen. It's at least better than bagged hay.

-Is it better or worse cost wise?

It's very cost effective if you usually buy bags of hay from the store. I'd do a price check on their website to calculate shipping. It costs me around 30 bucks including shipping every time I order 15 pounds. I'm in Seattle, shouldn't be more for where you are.

-What's better: 2nd cut ot 3rd cut?

3rd cut is softer with more leaf, but I think I've read some harvests have a lot of brown leaf to it. 2nd cut is pretty darn leafy, too. I just stick with that since it's always available.

-What sizing is better to order? (Again, cost wise)

The biggest amount you can store. If you have a well ventilated storage, it keeps for a long time. When I only had two pigs, I'd get 15 pounds at a time and distribute it in three different boxes with holes punches in the sides ( no plastic!). I also "fluff" the hay up a bit to remove excess dust and to keep air between the grass. It keeps nice and fresh that way. I obviously need to adjust how much I order now, since I have 4 pigs in total.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.