Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Connecting A C&C Cage To A Play Pen

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I thought, to make things easier on the pigs and me, I can connect the C&C cage to their Play Pen so they can go out and play whenever they want.

__

Some insight from me:

Both of my pigs LOVE their extendable tube (It goes up to a couple feet, maybe just a bit short to reach their play pen. I can always get another, however) so I was kinda hoping that I could make an access from a couple of tubes like that?

__

The questions that I have are:

Would this work? I have heard of "Pipe" ramps before. This is kind of the same concept.

How should I support the ramp as it goes across to the Play Pen?

Any other ideas about connecting the 2. Has anybody done it and had success? Or what other ideas do you have for an access way from the 2x4 C&C cage to the Playpen? (the play pen size is about equivalent to a 2x2 area in grids)

__

Thanks!

:p

So from what I am visualizing you have a higher cage for storage or on top of a table (if im not right read the 2nd part) but if you want to connect it I would build a ramp out of wood or something and glue the tubes/pipes onto it but just make sure its not too steep

part 2
If your cage is floor level, I would use the tubes and connect them together, but cut a hole in the bars of the play pen so they have access to the pen without it going up and down and up and down......
Hope I helped!:)

So from what I am visualizing you have a higher cage for storage or on top of a table (if im not right read the 2nd part) but if you want to connect it I would build a ramp out of wood or something and glue the tubes/pipes onto it but just make sure its not too steep

part 2
If your cage is floor level, I would use the tubes and connect them together, but cut a hole in the bars of the play pen so they have access to the pen without it going up and down and up and down......
Hope I helped!:)

My cage is about exactly a foot above the ground.

Also, the wooden ramp idea sounds good. I live with my Grandpa and he is an EXCELLENT woodworker-- Made nearly EVERYTHING in my cage, from the hideys to the hayrack, so there isn't any foreseeable problem with him being able to make a wooden ramp.

Thanks!

Just from reading the first post, I thought of a wooden ramp. I would just want to make sure that the ramp has sides going up at least a few inches, so the tube doesn't roll off the ramp. I'm sure that's something you've already thought of, but just covering all the bases. I would probably be so paranoid about the tube rolling off or being moved in some way that I would find a way to tack the tube to the ramp, so that if they popcorned while in the tube, they would hit the roof instead of lifting the tube off the ramp. I just thought about cleaning the ramp and tube... Hmmmm, maybe the tacks could be more of a temporary thing, so you could remove the tube to wash it in case of any accidents. That really depends on the material of the tube though, if it's more of a nylon than a cotton (as it probably is, cotton doesn't seem like a good tube material) maybe you could make the attachment a permanent thing and just kinda "hose" the whole thing off to clean it. Just some ideas, I'm sure you and your Grandpa can work out something wonderful and safe and awesome for them :)

I've tried any number of things on ramps to give the pigs traction. Some worked well but were awful to clean, others cleaned easily but slid out of place, the pigs ate them, or other things happened.

What I settled on is long strips of fleece with some sort of pad sewed underneath. The pad isn't necessarily for absorption, just to give the fleece a little more body. I figured a way to clamp it down at the top, and then just let it extend down the ramp. It comes off easily, cleans easily, goes back on easily. I've used it for over a year now, and have been far happier with that than with anything else I've tried.

Just from reading the first post, I thought of a wooden ramp. I would just want to make sure that the ramp has sides going up at least a few inches, so the tube doesn't roll off the ramp. I'm sure that's something you've already thought of, but just covering all the bases. I would probably be so paranoid about the tube rolling off or being moved in some way that I would find a way to tack the tube to the ramp, so that if they popcorned while in the tube, they would hit the roof instead of lifting the tube off the ramp. I just thought about cleaning the ramp and tube... Hmmmm, maybe the tacks could be more of a temporary thing, so you could remove the tube to wash it in case of any accidents. That really depends on the material of the tube though, if it's more of a nylon than a cotton (as it probably is, cotton doesn't seem like a good tube material) maybe you could make the attachment a permanent thing and just kinda "hose" the whole thing off to clean it. Just some ideas, I'm sure you and your Grandpa can work out something wonderful and safe and awesome for them :)

yes i forgot to mention walls the ramp cannot be at all steep in any way because the tubes are VERY easy to slide on

So, @bpatters, could a tube still work as long as I follow all of the instructions and of course, if my pigs will use it?

I know I tend to bump my own threads, but I wanted everyone to know how this is coming.

I finished with this whole concept around 2-3 o'clock today. I went with the tube to try it out first.

It went good.

The tube doesn't LOOK steep to me...... I dunno. I got a picture: Connecting A C&C Cage To A Play Pen

Think that'll be okay? I don't think they will have any trouble using it.

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.