Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Confuzzled

Xw0lfie

Cavy Slave
Ok, I may get back handed for this; but I'm going to go for it anyway!

I am wondering is it wrong to want a certain preference for adopting piggy?
I don't mean in regards to breeding them to what you want. ( Don't support it whatsoever).

I just mean in regards to i.e short hair, long hair or sheltie etc etc.
1 color , bi-colored, tri-colored.

I guess what I am saying is I would love to adopt a long hair piggy (Peruvian), there is just something about the quantity of hair I would LOVE to groom of course (do a butt a trim).

And there aren't many in my area via CL and such, but that brings me to another point I do have a rescue nearby that I did contact about adding a third piggy. I inquired them about if the bonding process was the same (I adopted a piggy from them before for a friend). They said says, would rather not do a single one due to a pair bullying them (which I can understand), and asked me if I could adopt a pair instead.

I currently have 5 piggies(males) and have just room for one more. Not all 5 piggies live in one cage O_O (due some not getting a long), and for me 4 in the cage I have now I feel doesn't suffice. I want them to have LOADS of room. I also do give them floor time

3 Live in 3x4-1 furry, 2 skinny
the other 2 live in a 3x4 -2 Furry
I use cage liners btw

All adopted except for 1 (petstore) which was a long, time ago! ( I know better now!)

And I know its up to the piggies to decided who they can tolerate, but if there was a long hair piggy why not try?

My S.O said 6 was the limit and no more than that, and I have to respect that.
So I dunno what to do..the cool thing about rescues is of course the pairing room wheres CL gotta be careful of what you get yourself into.

Do I tell the rescue I can only do just a single pig whose looking for a friend i. Do I wait..I dunno but if six is my absolute limit and I don't want to step on anyones toes. Then I would love to have a long hair until I eventually buy a couple of acres and live in a huge house. I live in a house now but everyone has their dream house :p thoughts or suggestions?

Don't have any suggestions right now, but I want to follow your thread and see what others have to say, because we want to add a third piggie. Never thought about the fact that my two sweet girls could bully the newbie, but I guess that is a possibility. The rescue we used also helps in the bonding process to find a good playmate and didn't say that they wouldn't help us find a third friend when I brought it up recently. So really curious what others have experienced.

It sounds to me like you may want to wait for a while longer, I am living with my parents as I have no official job(I do work for my dad and take care of my older brother dealing with a medical situation) and it sounds like whatever powers of the universe exist(whatever you choose to call it is up to you) are telling you that it's not time for another guinea pig, if the rescue only adopts in pairs and you're almost at your S.O's limit, then you should either talk to your S.O about it and leave it open that you are willing to wait until he is ready for more than 6 piggies. That's my only advice, I wouldn't rush into anything from the sounds of your situation

It sounds to me like you may want to wait for a while longer, I am living with my parents as I have no official job(I do work for my dad and take care of my older brother dealing with a medical situation) and it sounds like whatever powers of the universe exist(whatever you choose to call it is up to you) are telling you that it's not time for another guinea pig, if the rescue only adopts in pairs and you're almost at your S.O's limit, then you should either talk to your S.O about it and leave it open that you are willing to wait until he is ready for more than 6 piggies. That's my only advice, I wouldn't rush into anything from the sounds of your situation

I don't know if the rescue ONLY adopts in pairs they just asked if i was amenable to adopt 2;they just as always looking out for their piggies which I understand. As far as my S.O limit he just thinks 6 is a good number :) Its more long the lines of "this is my opinion " and I do value it. I do have the money and time to offer any piggie a good life. I guess its more or so the fact I would rather like one more addition if its possible but if I ABSOLUTELY had to. I could take in 2, but that requires me to expand my cage A LOT bigger for 4 piggies. :) thanks for your thoughts

I wouldn't adopt any more than you are comfortable adopting. I adopted a pig at a time to get up to 4 pigs and though introductions were a little more intense with the last pig, I chalk it up to her being quite dominant. It took about 3 days for the chattering to stop.

I also don't think there is any issue with you wanting a long haired pig, so long as you don't adopt a long haired one just for that reason even if he doesn't get along with your pigs. Will this rescue allow you to bring your pair to meet a potential new friend?

Oh, and I can tell you from experience it is a heck of a lot more than just butt trims to manage a Peruvian toupee. Its not too much work, but I shaved my Peruvian for a reason :)

@SurfingPigs Oh no , if lets say there was a long hair piggy that didn't get along we would try someone else or wait a few weeks before we try someone else. don't want to over stress them with a bazillion introductions.
Have done a bit extensive research on Peruvian pigs. But I am open to any advice or precautions you can advise from your experience. :)
I suppose I should tell the rescue it's not possible and ask they are still willing to find a 3rd guy for my pair.

Looks like you are on the right path. Peruvians really aren't that much more work, you just need to pay a lot of attention to all of the hair if you plan on keeping it long. I trimmed my pig all over with a pair of electric hair clippers and it made life much easier. If you plan on keeping his hair long, you will need to bathe hair around the butt, butt trims, comb out any mats, make sure to pick out stray poops that get wrapped up in the hair, etc. Just a little extra husbandry to avoid UTIs, I suppose.

@SurfingPigs Sounds good! I currently sorta have to do that with one of my other pigs for some reason his butt hairs grow a bit long near his butt. I also have to watch out for my allergy older pig marma who I adopted he's allergic to dust particles. As well as trim my skinnies nails every week and file them and sometimes applying souffle to their dried spots if they have any. Do you have a brush you would recommend or a comb? And do you think its better to also trim around the face?

I have a comb that is the fine brush on one side and the coarser comb on the other side, its a good tool for combing out the deeper layers of hair as well as smoothing the surface of her coat.

I trim the bangs that fall over my 'ruvie's face because I can only imagine how annoying it would be. Actually, when my hair grows out I tend to get the "surfer hair" too (go figure...) and it is terribly annoying, especially while surfing.

I also trim hair that drags around on the floor so that she isn't a walking Swiffer, collecting hay all along the way.

I have a comb that is the fine brush on one side and the coarser comb on the other side, its a good tool for combing out the deeper layers of hair as well as smoothing the surface of her coat.

I trim the bangs that fall over my 'ruvie's face because I can only imagine how annoying it would be. Actually, when my hair grows out I tend to get the "surfer hair" too (go figure...) and it is terribly annoying, especially while surfing.

I also trim hair that drags around on the floor so that she isn't a walking Swiffer, collecting hay all along the way.

LOL the mental image I drew up of a guinea pig being a swiffer lol

I ask because if I do end up getting one, I do want to trim the piggie a bit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.