Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Compressed bale of timothy hay

Huminbird

Cavy Slave
I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not because my search isn't working.

Anyhow, I went to our local animal feed store, one that caters more to farmers than small pet owners. I was looking for some affordable timothy hay. Two pounds of bagged hay, specifically for small pets cost nearly $10. I asked if there was an alternative. Yes, a huge bale of hay. Well, that wouldn't work well for me, being in an apartment with no place to store it besides my VW bus. Then someone suggested a compressed bale of hay for only $15 and it weighs well over 50lbs. So this is what I got. It fits in a box (a big one) under our cage and I don't think I will ever run out. I have so much that I also use it for bedding in the kitchen. It is cheaper than using aspen shavings even and a lot easier to clean up.

I don't know if everyone would have room but it is much much smaller than a whole bale, is the same amount and quality of feed and costs so much less than bagged hay. They would have them at most feed stores that cater to horse owners and farmers.

Hope this helps!