Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

combined questions

lilmasweet

Cavy Slave
1. I know that some shedding is normal but I have a 3rd gp that is shedding more than the other two. She doesn't appear to be ill, she's eating fine. Does anyone have any suggestions. By the way they all have short hair.
2. Also, a freind of mine had a rabbit and had just bought some pine bedding before it ran away. She ask if I could use it for the gp's but doesn't know if it's Kiln dried pine. She has it in a garbage bag and so can't find out for sure. Will it be okay if I use it?

1. Is the hair coming out in clumps so you notice bald spots, or just shedding?
2. You can use it, but put it in a box for a while and let it air out to minimize the phenols.

I don't see bald spots but it is alot.

I didnt think pine was safe to use. Try Carefresh or Yesterday's news.

Kiln-dried pine is okay, and if it doesn't have a strong odor after being aired out it is fine.

Have you ever treated for mites? Although some pigs DO shed more than others.

My pigs shed pretty badly but there's no scratching at all and I know they don't have mites. I think I just need to brush them more often.

I don't know if this is true for guinea pigs or not, but some animals shed a lot more when they're under stress. The first sign I had that my rabbit had problems was his excessive shedding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.