Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Media Color? Breed?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I've been looking at craigslist pigs (with no intention of adopting really), and I stumbled upon this cute little one!

00101 9qUq412HjwF 600x450
Does anybody know what color he/she is? I've never seen a more unique guinea pig...

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Looking back at what I had said first, I realize my question was a bit ridiculous. Of course, his/her colors are obvious: white, black, brown, bit of red/orange. I've seen many threads on here lately asking about guinea pig colors/coats..I think I'm more curious as to what breed he/she is, if that's even possible to identify. I was thinking abyssinian mix?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Almost all guinea pigs are mixtures of different hair styles, which are pretty much what defines a breed.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The guinea pig in the photo is a tri-colour (white, black and orange), the brown on the face is agouti (bottom of the hair shaft is back but the tip is orange making it appear brown), the colour on the back looks to be roan.

It looks to be an abyssinian, but it does look like it has less rosettes then the average abby so it could be an abby mix.