Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Colleges that allow pigs??

MaddyMaddy

Cavy Slave
I'm in my Junior year of highschool and I've just gotten two beautiful pigs and after only a few months with them I can't bear the thought of parting with them.
Does anyone know any pet friendly colleges on the east coast/have any success stories of smuggling pets to college dorms? What are the risks of sneaking my pigs with me even if I have a cool room-mate?

It's stressing me out so much...I'm even considering staying local to stay with my pigs ):

Thanks guys! I'm new by the way, tell me if I'm posting wrong!
- Maddy :love:

Well first of all, welcome! I am enrolled in my first year and pet less :( Just my two cents here though. Don't sneak them in, you will not get away with it. I had the same situation and go to a not pet friendly college currently. Dorms are not made to work around a cage that size plus they are not quiet pets as you know, or will know very soon. Your Residential Assistant (RA) will catch you very quickly I'm certain of it. I got my pigs in the summer before senior year, and had decided that my parents would care for them when I left for school so I was somewhat prepared for it.
I know at my school if you are caught with a pet you have like less than 24 hours to get rid of it and prove it, or they take it to the nearest shelter.
My situation is my school is 1 hr away and my parents are caring for the girls while I'm getting my education on :) I go home for breaks and some weekends and then of course they are under my responsibility. Next year I am trying my very hardest to get an apartment with a few friends and then I can take my pigs again.
I absolutely needed to go to a university and there were none near my house, just local community schools which don't support my major. So that is what I ended up doing, I hope you can figure something out though, good luck.

Well first of all, welcome! I am enrolled in my first year and pet less :( Just my two cents here though. Don't sneak them in, you will not get away with it. I had the same situation and go to a not pet friendly college currently. Dorms are not made to work around a cage that size plus they are not quiet pets as you know, or will know very soon. Your Residential Assistant (RA) will catch you very quickly I'm certain of it. I got my pigs in the summer before senior year, and had decided that my parents would care for them when I left for school so I was somewhat prepared for it.
I know at my school if you are caught with a pet you have like less than 24 hours to get rid of it and prove it, or they take it to the nearest shelter.
My situation is my school is 1 hr away and my parents are caring for the girls while I'm getting my education on :) I go home for breaks and some weekends and then of course they are under my responsibility. Next year I am trying my very hardest to get an apartment with a few friends and then I can take my pigs again.
I absolutely needed to go to a university and there were none near my house, just local community schools which don't support my major. So that is what I ended up doing, I hope you can figure something out though, good luck.

Thanks so much for responding to me Kimberly, it means a lot :)!
Yeah, my cage is probably to huge for a dorm room anyways....It's cool your folks will watch your piggies! :)
My sister got a cool deal at her strange art college where she rents a house with a few girls. I doubt I'll get a deal as sweet as that! I think my mom has a soft spot for my little Noodle, so I think I may convince her if I have no other options to care for her...

Ask for assistance with finding a low cost apartment. They often offer apartment assistance in college. If you're single, you can rent a studio apartment. Or, if you have friends or will live with others, I would get roommates for a good sized apartment.

It is not very common to find residence halls that allow any type of pet (other than service animals). But if you are not attending a college with a freshman residency requirement, you may be able to find affordable housing off campus but close enough for classes.

I got my first guinea pigs (Rosemary and Angel) when I lived in a residence hall... AND was a Resident Adviser. I had illegal guinea pigs all through undergrad and graduate school. And into my first full time professional live in position in residence life.

I am not proud of it, but I did it. I would NEVER do it now though. First I had a store bought cage. At that time I did not know anything better.
I often think now what Rosemary, Angel, and later, Joy, would have been like if they had had a proper cage. I had 2 pigs in a store bought cage for years.

I think the best option would be off campus housing. And you don't want to pick a college based on their pet policy.
There is one in Missouri that know allows pets. I former coworker took a job there. Think it was Stephen's College. If there is one, there will be more.

Good luck!

I'm in the exact same boat! I didn't even think about this:( sadface.....I don't wanna leave um but I have 2 siblings that love um too lol

I had a friend who went here because they allow pets. She had a rabbit in the dorms.
Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts

Looked around the site and it looks like they either changed their policy or your friend smuggled her bunny. Straight from the site: "
Pets

Pets are forbidden in residence halls with the exception of aquatic animals (e.g., fish, frogs, turtles) that can be safely and humanely contained in a tank/bowl of five gallons or less. Lights and filters are allowed and must fit within the parameters of Mount Holyoke College's fire safety guidelines. Students are responsible for the well-being of their pets throughout the academic year and break periods. "

Stephen's College looks good, wish I would have known that! I would have gone there as out of state is sometimes better. :)
(broken link removed)

I think your best bet would be finding a college that lets you live off campus your first year. At least where I live, it's always cheaper to live off-campus than on, and any financial aid that isn't going towards tuition can go to your rent. Anyways, living in a dorm is definitely not all it's cracked up to be. And, if your parents don't want to co-sign on a lease, there's almost always lots of rooms to rent in college areas, no lease required.

I'm currently going to college in a urban area in VA, but I used to go to college in a much more rural area, and finding housing was pretty much the same for both places. The only difficulty is that it's an unfamiliar area that might not be close to where you live now. It's worth it for the piggies though.

Edited to add: Just saw you live on the east coast. I live in Virginia.

So last semester we did not have an RA, so we kind of did our own thing right? Well now we do and she's on a roll with pets. Last night, I saw a girl on my floor carrying a hamster cage out of her room. Turns out she got caught and fined for an illegal pet in the dorms. I thought it was a weird coincidence considering this thread was just started. But as far as I know hammys are quiet little things so I have no idea how she was caught. I also heard about my neighbor having a cat... I thought I heard meowing last week haha.

Also, living in the dorms is what you make of it for the most part. I am greatly involved on my floor and know most of the girls who live here. My roommate spends literally all her time in class, sleeping, or in our room and knows nobody and wants to live off campus because she hates the dorms. Regardless, I was upset about it being "mandatory" to live on campus solely because of the piggies, and my cat.
If your decision will be based on your pets then you need to make a decision earlier than most. I would say by like October/November of your senior year have a school picked out and applied to, if possible. Find out if you can get out of on campus housing as a freshie, if so look into apartments ASAP! They are most often all leased out by spring break, which is middle of March or so. Some places, at least here, will often pair you up with a roommate just like the dorms and you split the rent. Or you can get a studio/1 BR to yourself. Tuition is crazy expensive so in my case I plan for a 2BR apartment for three of us. I'll take the smaller room to myself and the piggers. ^_^
I figured I'd just give you a little more insight on the whole thing. I know I was completely clueless in the beginning of the year and even the idea of trying to find my way from an apartment to the campus seemed impossible :p Personal experiences always seem to help more too
Best of Luck :D

I am on the East Coast as well. After seeing my daughter and all of her friends in various college situations, my advice would be to leave your guinea pigs in the safety of your parent's home. You say your mom likes them? I'd have a heart-to-heart talk with her now. These four years are of utmost importance in your life, so don't make the decision on where to go to college because of a pet. Taking it with you may turn out to be a very bad decision, for you and for the guinea pig. Once you have graduated from college with a degree of choice, you can have pets galore, and be able to afford all the proper care for them.

My daughter had all she could do to study, walk the many miles around campus, and try to maintain a bit of a social life. She missed pets and got a goldfish. You'd not believe how hard even that was! Travel to home for her for college breaks can be hard enough to figure out, let alone what she'd do with a guinea pig and cage, etc.

Many colleges require you to live on campus (without a car) for the first year. If you do decide to find a college without that requirment and rent housing, please consider how you'd handle all of the care the guinea pig deserves. Will you have a car to take her to the vet and to go get supplies for her? What if one gets sick and you have an important exam? Who will take her to the vet, or will you take her and flunk the exam? What if you have roommates and one is allergic to the guinea pigs? What if you lose heat (as a friend's daughter is experiencing right now in NY state college rental house).

I don't mean to throw cold water on your plans, but college life is a total unknown to you at this moment. Many a college Freshman is burdened with tons of issues the first months. Some just cannot take the pressure - and they have no pet depending on them, just their own problems adjusting to college life. Please do yourself and your pet a favor and leave them with your mom.

Last edited:
I am on the East Coast as well. After seeing my daughter and all of her friends in various college situations, my advice would be to leave your guinea pig in the safety of your parent's home. You say your mom likes her? I'd have a heart-to-heart talk with her now. These four years are of utmost importance in your life, so don't make the decision on where to go to college because of a pet. Taking it with you may turn out to be a very bad decision, for you and for the guinea pig. Once you have graduated from college with a degree of choice, you can have pets galore, and be able to afford all the proper care for them.

My daughter had all she could do to study, walk the many miles around campus, and try to maintain a bit of a social life. She missed pets and got a goldfish. You'd not believe how hard even that was! Travel to home for her for college breaks can be hard enough to figure out, let alone what she'd do with a guinea pig and cage, etc.

Many colleges require you to live on campus (without a car) for the first year. If you do decide to find a college without that requirment and rent housing, please consider how you'd handle all of the care the guinea pig deserves. Will you have a car to take her to the vet and to go get supplies for her? What if she gets sick and you have an important exam? Who will take her to the vet, or will you take her and flunk the exam? What if you have roommates and one is allergic to the guinea pig? What if you lose heat (as a friend's daughter is experiencing right now in NY state college rental house).

I don't mean to throw cold water on your plans, but college life is a total unknown to you at this moment. Many a college Freshman is burdened with tons of issues the first months. Some just cannot take the pressure - and they have no pet depending on them, just their own problems adjusting to college life. Please do yourself and your pet a favor and leave her with your mom.

I have to agree with everything you've said. It's been awhile since I was away at college, but time is something that is really scarce when you're trying to juggle homework and everything else that comes your way. All of my siblings and I went away to college and my parents kept the pets at home. It worked out well for everyone that way. My kids commuted to local universities so it was never an issue here. My son is still in college but he still brings out a guinea pig to hold on his lap when he reads his assignments or just wants to relax. I take care of them but he still enjoys having them here without having the burden of having to take care of them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.