Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

college again or no?

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
okay I have a decision to make and I think I'd like some input on it. I have the chance again to go back to college and finish what I started. And that's very appealing to me, to just be in a classroom. However, I also work full time, and have parents I'm responsible for. I can't go part time at work, and I don't want to just go part time at school.

I can do both, and I make it. The issue is that I'm not sure I have the focus. And it's not as easy as 'well focus then'. I'm on two antidepressents, and an anti anxiety med. First time being on any, and I'm going back to the doc on the 18th. There's several things I have to talk to him about- I'm having trouble zoning worse then ever, and being able to think without feeling like a zombie, and I work a lot in auntomatic, and I'm more drowsy.

All of that can be fixed with the right combo of meds, I realize that, and am willing to work with the doctor to get it right. My problem will be, should I get on the right meds before starting college again, or should I go on and try, just to see if I can surprise myself and focus?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Any chance you're considering going to the University of Kentucky? That's where I graduated ... many good times were had on that Lexington campus. :)

Anyway, I actually think you might be better off having this discussion with your doctor(s) and or a counselor of some sort. It's a personal issue and largely a personal decision that only you can make. Best of luck, whatever you choose!

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I am gonna talk to my doc about it on the 18th, then follow up with my therapist. And no it's a community college, but if I get my associates of the arts, I'm going to have to go to a bigger school. I might consider it. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I wouldn't discount going part time. I've been taking a class or two every semester (including summer) since I had my kids. Im close to finishing now. I don't have much time for school with two kids and a business to run so going part time is very helpful for me.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I agree with Inle_Rabbit!!

Before you decide I think you need to ask yourself this question: if you start college and you don't have your meds squared away, and it causes you to score poorly in one or more of your college classes, will you be ok with that??

Good luck getting your meds all squared away!! :)

jmp8133

Cavy Slave
My advice is this: be careful. I would advise trying part-time school first, since you do work full time...especially because you mentioned that you're already on medications for anxiety/depression type problems. I've suffered from both anxiety and depression for the past decade (and I'm only 20!). If I've learned anything it's that my health has to come first or I overwork myself and get sick. And I mean REALLY sick, like admissions to the hospital. I started college at 16 and ran with it full force until I turned 20...then all of a sudden I almost lost my life from letting my health fall on the wayside. Medications are something to be careful with too. By the beginning of this year I was on six psychotropic medications to keep myself going (all of them prescribed by a psychiatrist). In the end they made me sicker. Some medication is good but too much can mess you up.

I guess all I'm saying is to remember one word: BALANCE. It's the biggest thing I've learned in therapy since everything got worse for me. Don't jump head-first into something hope you won't drown. And I'm not saying I don't have confidence that you can do anything you put your mind to! Try talking to a counselor about this, or even the doctor who works with you on medications. You can be successful without running yourself into the ground like I did. And it seems you have a lot on your plate right now.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do, friend!

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
thank you all, it gives me a lot to think about and concider instead of just saying 'well I just can't do it" or "Well I can do it because I just can" because the truth is I don't know, but I go back to the doc on the eighteenth my therapist on the 2nd, I'll talk to both and see what they say before anything.

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
I spoke today with the doc to put me on the meds, and he said for right know no. He wants me more stable on my meds and having 'more good days then bad'. He upped one med, and lowered one, and left the other alone. So we'll see lol I'm hoping for spring, but it'll depend greatly on how well this med combo works. And when I can focus better and stuff. Thanks for the advice though! :D I always trust the judgement on here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.