Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

clipping the nails

kjkuntz

Cavy Slave
I tried to clip my gp's nails the other day for the frist time. I had a friend that worked in a vet come over to show me how to clip his nails, but he bite both of us and drew blood. does anyone have any suggests on what to do when I clip his nails agian?

You can take him to his normal vet to get clipped or distract him with some veggies.

i don't know of any vet in my area that takes care of gp's that is why I had a friend come help me. Also if I can do his nails it will save some money in the long run. Thank you for the suggest. I will try the veggie thing next time.

Whenever I clip my piggies' nails, I have them on a table huddled up next to me. Then I'll do one side at a time, normally with their heads buried in my shirt for comfort. I'll take one finger, slide it under the foot and gently hold it between my index finger and thumb. Then, depending on where I see the quick (the vein or blood vessel) I'll trim off a little bit of each nail. Then they get turned around, so I can do the other side and they can continue hiding their faces. <<tell me when the "scary" part is over, Mom!>>
If the nails are black, just take a little bit off the end. And have flour, cornstarch or a styptic pencil on hand to stop any accidental bleeding.
I usually save their once or twice a week fruit treat for after the nail trimmings.

Do you use people nail clippers? I read if you do you are supposed to turn the clippers sideways... that true?

Yes I did use people clippers. The person that came over at first told me to use puppy clippers then when she got her she said since his nails are so small use people clippers and she turned them side ways just a little bit to clipp his nails. I was holding my gp since he did not know my friend at all. I thought that would help since I was holding him and my husband was petting him as well put he starting screaming like a pig and bite my friends index finger then mine and drew blood on both of us. My finger is still sore from him biting me and if also turned into a small blister or what looked like one. Thank you everyone for you advice and suggestions.

Hi, I just clipped Cayenne's nails tonight using cat clippers that were suggested to me by Karen at This Little Piggy and Me rescue where we got our piggies. She demonstrated on Kambi, and it was very easy to do. I just clipped a little bit off. The nice thing about using the cat clippers is that you can see exactly how much you are clipping, and can position it just right. Here are the clippers we have (not necessarily recommending this site, just the same as the ones we bought at a local pet store):

Cat Nail Clippers

Those clippers are the same ones that I have, except my handles are green. They've been really easy to use so far, although Percy always looks like he's terrified when he gets a manicure.

Those are the same that I use. My daughter holds a GP to her chest, with the GP facing front. I have never had a pig bite me. I trim their nails every week to 2 weeks and just take the very tip off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.