Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Clipped Nails Again-- Questions

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!

I clipped Lil' Babes nails again today. I had done it a few days ago and she was fine, but today I realized they were still a bit long.

I know everyone says only trim the tips..... OK, so what does this mean? Only trim where the nail is beginning to curve? I shouldn't go any further on the white part of the nail closer to the quick than the tip where it curves, right?

Lil' Babe always jerks her foot away when I try to clip her nails. I will get the clippers over them and just begin to apply pressure and she jerks away, scraping her nail and pulling at it in the process. I am scared when she does this that I am too close to the quick? Anybody else's pigs do this, and what is it about?

Are the guillotine nail clippers good? People recommend human nail/toenail clippers. Do they really work better?

Lamps: People recommend doing the clipping where there is a table lamp. 1: Does this really help? 2: Do the Pigs mind the brightness? 3: Do I aim the light at her nails or do I just have it on and nearby for better lighting?

__

I clipped all her nails to where I was pretty much satisfied, but I still feel they are too long! If I am just trimming the tips and she is walking fine, they aren't too long right? But 1x a month is still a good time to clip their nails and the quick will begin to recede, correct?

Thanks everyone! I am just wary of clipping a little animal's nails.

You can't go by the curve. Some pigs nails curve quickly, some get much longer before they curve.

If the nails are light colored, use a bright light, and clip just past where the nerves and blood vessels end. If some are light and some are dark, use the light ones as a gauge to clip the dark ones by. If they're all dark, clip a little bit on one nail until you hit the quick, and then use that as a guide.

If she's getting her foot loose, you're not holding it tight enough and not working quickly enough.

It's MUCH easier with two people -- one to hold the pig and the carrot to the mouth, and the other one to clip.

You can't go by the curve. Some pigs nails curve quickly, some get much longer before they curve.

If the nails are light colored, use a bright light, and clip just past where the nerves and blood vessels end. If some are light and some are dark, use the light ones as a gauge to clip the dark ones by. If they're all dark, clip a little bit on one nail until you hit the quick, and then use that as a guide.

If she's getting her foot loose, you're not holding it tight enough and not working quickly enough.

It's MUCH easier with two people -- one to hold the pig and the carrot to the mouth, and the other one to clip.

Thanks bpatters!

being that i live alone, i don't have someone else in the house to help cut my 5 guys, or my cat's nails either!! i've tried doing it myself. and while it's surely possible it was really too difficult. i bartered with a neighbor who loves animals to help me. i hold the pigs, while she cuts. with 2 people it takes all of 5 minutes. i check their nails weekly, but try to keep having to cut them to every 2 weeks. i find the back nails easier to do myself, so i will trim those if need be. sometimes, if my pigs are chilled out, i can get the left front foot as well. just do what you must!! they'll get used to it, and so will you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.