Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Cleaning poops

Kymmysue003

Cavy Slave
How do you clean daily without sucking up fleece?

I have a little dust pan I use to sweep them up, then I just toss them in a trash can with a top to keep the smell in. If poos get under the fleece, I shake the towels out on the coroplast then vacuum them up.

I use "rugs" in the high traffic areas. So, I can just pick them up and shake them out.
My handy vac has an sloped attachment that helps in not sucking up the fleece.
If you come at it at an angle, that tends to help.

I have a large metal serving spoon I use. You can glide it over fleece to collect poop, as well as scrape the fleece of hay.

I used to use a mini dust pan, but it's more difficult to clean and doesn't do a very good job at picking up tiny scraps of hay.

You have to hold the fleece down if you're using a hand vacuum.

I use discarded toilet/paper towel rolls folded on one end. Just scoop, fold and toss!

Is it really gross that I just pick them up? I wash my hands straight after! lol

Not at all, I do the same thing! :D

I have a Dirt Devil Quick Power hand vac that I got at Walmart for about $15. It has a built in crevice tool that you flip forward and it's very good at getting the poops without sucking up the fleece (my full size vac does tend to pull too hard on the fleece).

Those are awesome ideas....i'll probably try all, including my hands....lol

I have a Dirt Devil Quick Power hand vac that I got at Walmart for about $15. It has a built in crevice tool that you flip forward and it's very good at getting the poops without sucking up the fleece (my full size vac does tend to pull too hard on the fleece).

Does it suck up hay without getting stopped up? How noisy is it?

@MissJean...it's not so good on hay. I have my hay up in the hayloft/litterbox so there really isn't much hay on the fleece. It is noisy and I don't usually use it when the piggies are in the cage as they aren't too fond of it.

I use a dustpan and brush. I sometimes use the dustpan to hold down the fleece while I sweep everything in a pile.

I use the same method for picking up after my dog, plastic sandwich bags. It's easy to tie the bags closed and toss in the trash, minimal smell. I also use a rubber pet hair removal brush to sweep up the hair and hay.

I use a Shop-Vac brand 1.5 gallon wet-dry vac.

I have a long hose attachment from my old vacuum that I have fitted onto this one as it is very noisy. So this way I can keep it in my living room and get to the Piggies room, and they don't mind at all. Mind you, I never get close to them with it, or they would still get scared.

:)

Oh, and it doesn't clog. If it does, which it doesn't usually if you are using a small hose, it has a convenient blower function that unclogs. It doesn't suck up the fleece if you use a brush attachment, which many will recommend.

____

I usually only use the shop Vac for end-of-week cleanups, otherwise I would have to get it out every day to spot clean. Which I might start doing, because it is killing my back to get on my hands and knees to clean w/ a dustpan.

:D

I use my hands, although I have found that a broom and dustpan will pick up a lot of hair and soiled hay!

and this is what i love best about this site - all these great ideas! thanks all! the thing i read that made me feel ok about using my hands to pick up poops is that because they don't eat meat, their stool doesn't contain any really dangerous bacteria - like you would rick finding in the stool of meat-eating animals. true? who knows - but it helps me not to gag. . .:p

Gut flora are pretty nasty in all animals, including humans. There is a reason why the GI tract is not considered part of the body. I would wash my hands well regardless!

I use a dustpan, though I did just discover that using your hands are okay about a week ago, but I only do that if it's like on one lone poop or one somehow ends up out of the cage.

At you fellow dustpan users, whenever I do this, it pulls the fleece back up from the Uhaul pad. Have any of you had this problem?

I use a broom and dust pan. Any poops that stray from that I just pick up, washing my hands after. Has always worked for me in the last 4 years.

I also use a dustpan. Sometimes I will use a tissue or my bare hands (and wash after, of course).

When I'm really lazy, and a pig throws a bean out of the cage, I use my dogs! :shhh:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.