Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Cleaning and Smell

Cavies_Rock...

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I was wondering how often do you clean, and spot clean? I plan on getting Aspen bedding, newspaper on the bottom, then aspen, than hay on top in different areas. Is this a OK plan?
Also, do they stink up the house? I've had cats before and even when you change the cat-box everyday, when you walk into the house, you can smell there's a cat :sarcastic.
Thanks

I smell hay, and that's it. Even with boys.

I've never used aspen bedding, but what do you mean by "hay on top in different areas"? It's okay not to use a hay rack, but it creates more waste usually. They pee on the hay and won't eat it after.

Every time I do a full cage clean (once a week) I use undiluted vinegar on the coroplast. It cleans well and kills odor causing bacteria.

How often you need to clean also depends on the cage size and number of guinea pigs.

I smell hay, and that's it. Even with boys.

I've never used aspen bedding, but what do you mean by "hay on top in different areas"? It's okay not to use a hay rack, but it creates more waste usually. They pee on the hay and won't eat it after.

Every time I do a full cage clean (once a week) I use undiluted vinegar on the coroplast. It cleans well and kills odor causing bacteria.
I've heard different things about hay, and the piggys not eating out of the rack. But I'll try to use a hayrack thanks MissJean :)

@lissie thanks for the reply

If it's a good quality hay, the piggies will go for it. If your piggies aren't eating it, try changing brands. Oxbow is OK, and depending where you live, you might find a farm that sells it.

i have 4 boys in 2 cages. i totally clean my cages once a week and spot clean twice daily. i have small bits of uhaul pads and pillows in each corner, where they poo and pee the most, and i change those every other day. given all that, it seems some weeks they're more smelly than others. 90 percent of the time, i do smell urine a little bit the day before i clean, but it's nothing horrible. i've had no experience with aspen type bedding, only fleece.

I generally cannot smell Rosie's cage, except when it needs cleaning (weekly), with a couple of key exceptions:

1) When she's got any kind of new bedding or big accessory (pigloo, etc.)--I think she marks her territory!

2) When she's eaten certain foods. For Rosie, it's spinach. It's gotten to the point where I just won't give her spinach at all--I just can't take the cage afterwards.

Before when I used Equine Pine pellets, it was every two weeks, no maintenence in between. Now, with fleece, I use a fleece rug under her area where she eats, her hay bag and then her food dishes are oppisite eachother with a rug in between. Each night, I roll up the rug and dump the poo, and then just do a quick sweep up with a small dust pan. Every week it needs to be washed...:) hope that helps. PS, the more fleece liners you have, the easier it is.

Thanks everyone! it seems as long as I spot clean (at least once a day) and clean once weekly, it will be fine. :)
Can you give me some spot cleaning and cleaning tips?

Thanks everybody :)

Ok thanks charliespet :) hopefully i'll get some more answers :)

i have fleece and a hand vacuum i vacuum at least 4 times a day and spray diluted vinegar and wipe the spot off to take care of the urine smell maybe i clean the cage too much but i am obsessed with my kiki and sunshine and want them to be as comfortable as possible

When I spot clean I don't remove my piggies from their cage, its so large I can herd them to the other side while I'm working on the opposite end of the cage. Every morning I remove most of the poops and wet patches and if needed, replace any bald areas with clean kiln dried pine shavings and replace the hay in the bedding area. I change all the hay every other day as I buy the hay in bales, its very economical. My guinea pigs tend to wee and poop more in their sleeping area which could also mean in a piggy igloo, a log tunnel or anywhere my guinea pigs enjoy sleeping. Often those areas are more soiled than other areas. I do the spot clean in the evening too, its surprising how much guinea pigs produce in just 12 hours!

Thanks everyone so far lol

I use a cat litter scoop to scoop poops. Best thing I did was get one with a slightly elevated handle, that's not flush with the shovel bit, so that my hand stays off the fleece, away from the poops, and CLEAN. yea!!

i know that is why every time i clean it about 4 times a day

I have fleece and sweep up 2x a day. I do a complete cage cleaning 1x a week, using a vinegar-water solution to wipe the inside of the cage. The biggest pain for me is that the get into their hay pan and urinate in there 2-3x a day, so I have to clean that several times a day >(. Other than that I love the fleece, to me it seems way more clean than shavings.

If I ever use traditional bedding, I put a thick layer or newpaper or a large yard waste bag under the bedding to make cleaning easier. I mound my hay in a couple of corners if I do it that way. I've never had a problem with the hay smelling. I spot clean by putting a small sandwich bag over my hand, scoop out the bedding and remove the clumps. I replace with fresh bedding. When I use fleece, which is what I normally do, I either sweep or shake out the fleece piece multiple times a day. If it wasn't for the cost of the bedding, I'd probably use Fresh News in all of my cages instead of fleece but the fleece is a lot cheaper but much higher maintenance. I usually change my fleece every second day but have gone up to three days. They're in my dining room and I'm anal about odors so I make sure they're always "visitor acceptable."

I just dump a ton of Carefresh bedding at the floor of the cage and sweep it out, wipe down the coroplast and put in new bedding once a week to ten days, and it never smells. I've started to notice a bit of odor when I'm right over the cage on the couple of occasions where it's gone 2 weeks or so without cleaning, but that's rare. It's a 2x4 cage with two female pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.