Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Chubby little boy piggies

bernyb

Cavy Slave
This may seem like an odd question, but can piggies get overweight from too many veggies? My boys are 7 months old, so still growing, but getting fat. They simply adore their pellets. I cut back when I learned from this forum I was offering them too much. But they are so cute when they come up to the bars and wiggle their little noses at me I want to give them something. I keep Carrots as a special treat but give them lettuce, celery and green peppers quite liberally. And what type of scales does everyone use to weigh theirs?

Also, do they still need hay if they get fresh clean pure grass 3 times a day?

Thanks for any help with this.

I usually give Quincy a 1/2 cup of green leaf lettuce with a 1/2 cup of cilantro and he usally doesn't finish it. Hope this helps.

My goodness! I give my 2 boys 1/2 cup mixed veggies and lettuce morning and night, snacks during the day (probably about 4 times consisting of a lettuce leaf or a chunk of celery or pepper), and 2 tbsp. pellets morning and night. They gobble everything up and still graze on their grass all of the time. They are insatiable!

Absolutely limit their pellets. 1/8 cup per pig per day for adults, and 1/4 cup per day per pig for babies. What kind of pellets are they getting? Alfalfa pellets are for babies, adults should be getting Timothy pellets. Grass isn't the same as hay-it's softer, so it might not wear down their teeth properly. 1 cup veggies per pig per day is standard for fresh veggies. They really need the hay to keep their gut moving properly. Measure out their daily ration of veggies, and divide in half. If you really want to give a treat, take it from their ration for the day. I know they are cute, and it's hard to say "No", but don't kill them with kindness. Overfeeding the wrong foods hurts them. I hope this helps. Sometimes Mommy and Daddy need to be tough to raise healthy piggies, LOL.

Pellets must be limited, as they can cause major weight problems. 1/8 cup per day.

The rule of thumb is one cup of veggies per pig per day. You can divide it into as many servings as you wish.

They need fresh hay 24/7, in large amounts, no matter if they get grass. The hay keeps their gut moving, and they need to be able to eat in whenever. Hay and grass are not totally the same thing.

And I use a postage scale. I weigh in grams.

They have oxbow timothy pellets. I have been giving them each a branch from an apple tree each day to help with their teeth. I couldn't find much info on whether grass can totally replace hay. I live in the country, so when I say grass I don't mean lawn grass. They get all kinds of grasses including fresh hay, plantain, dandelion, yarrow etc. I will get them some dried hay for their tummies though.

Thanks for the info.:)

bernyb in the warm months Snowy eats grass and the occasional hay cube but I don't buy hay until it gets cold out. He's been great with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.