Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Choking

Dinochick

Cavy Slave
I am not sure what is up with my pig today. I think that maybe he is eating his hay to fast or drinking to fast, because he has choked a few times today. Its a weird noise.

Has anyone else ever had a problem with this? Is there a way to make them eat/drink slower? It scares me, I would,'t want him to start choking really bad if I were out of the house, but I can't stay home 24/7 to make sure he dosen't.

Suggestions?

Dinochick

Cavy Slave
Cant edit my post

Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit my post.

Maybe a more appropriate title would be coughing and choking. Its somewhere inbetween. He is fine after he coughs a few times, but I do not understand whay it is happening in the first place or it its something to be really worried about.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Sometimes the water will go down the wrong way and the piggy will cough. What bedding do you use? If it is dusty or a kind that is bad for the pigs like cedar or pine, that could be the reason for the coughing--a deadly respiratory infection all piggies are prone to. If in doubt, take the piggy/ies to a vet. Good luck! =)

Dinochick

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Sometimes the water will go down the wrong way and the piggy will cough. What bedding do you use? If it is dusty or a kind that is bad for the pigs like cedar or pine, that could be the reason for the coughing--a deadly respiratory infection all piggies are prone to. If in doubt, take the piggy/ies to a vet. Good luck! =)

I use Carefresh in his cage with a thin layer of pine underneith it. I think the water must just be going down the wrong way. I held him after he did it once and he kind of burped up some water, then was happy as usual.

Thank you for your advice.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
cough

Dinochick said:
I am not sure what is up with my pig today. I think that maybe he is eating his hay to fast or drinking to fast, because he has choked a few times today. Its a weird noise.

Has anyone else ever had a problem with this? Is there a way to make them eat/drink slower? It scares me, I would,'t want him to start choking really bad if I were out of the house, but I can't stay home 24/7 to make sure he dosen't.

Suggestions?
My Rosie coughs every once in a while when he is eating, and it's probably cause he eats so fast. Never heard Pickles cough.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You may want to switch that thin layer of pine to Aspen or some other type of wood. Even if the pine is kiln-dried, it still holds a smell that is there, including the harmful oils. Aspen has no harmful oils, and though it is a bit more expensive than pine it is better. The layer of pine may not seem like it can do much bad, but it can in the long run. Good job on using the CareFresh though, and I'm glad it was just the water! Good luck! =)

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Aspen has no harmful oils, and though it is a bit more expensive than pine it is better.
FYI - I got aspen from the FerretStore. (broken link removed)

Two of the larger size packages give you free shipping. It's still more expensive than pine (which I now use) but for aspen, this seems to be more economical.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.