Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Chirping

leslie512

Cavy Slave
I have to boys, Luna and Azrael that get along awesome and have been together for about a month. Last night I noticed that Luna, who is usually the laid back following was trying to show dominance over Azzy who is the pack leader.

I have them out for floor time and Luna just started chirping. I have been doing research to find out what that means to make sure it's not a sign of aggression and am finding that it's very rare!

Does anyone else have a cavy that chirps?

You are very lucky to have a 'chirper'. From what I understand, it is quite rare to have a piggie that chirps. Just sit back and enjoy it. lol

Regarding the dominance issue...two of my boys, Spike and Spunk, are alway trying to get dominance over each other. Neither boy will accept the other as the 'leader'. Silly piggies. lol

I don't think I have ever heard my piggies chirp you are lucky. I am not sure what chirping is either but I don't think it is a sign of dominance.

I've only heard a piggie chirp from audio online, but to me it sounds like a little bird.

Spy9doc, I'm not sure that's chirping. Have you compared it to any of the online sounds? Chirpers usually chirp only when it's dead quiet. I've heard of one doing it while they were being held.

Mine do make little noises when I holding them, sort of like a little worried sound. I don't think that's what it is, because they also do it when they're in the cage. But it's totally different from a chirp, which sounds exactly like baby birds cheeping.

BP: I was thinking the same thing... I have noticed more and more users referring to their pigs "chirping" when they're being scratched, etc. I think they might have pigs with slightly higher pitched happy noises, perhaps, but I doubt it is chirping.

If it doesn't sound exactly like a bird, it isn't chirping. I haven't relaibly heard of or seen any pigs chirping while being anywhere but in their cage.

I discovered that my scaredy pig is a chirper this past weekend, around 3am. Only time I've heard her do it. All of my pigs were in awe, even the fosters.

Only one of my four pigs chirps and it is fairly rare to hear her do it. Most often, it is in the middle of the night. It is a baby bird type of noise, but with a steady frequency. So much so that we were sure it was the low battery on the smoke alarm the first time we heard it. If you look at her, she is basically in a trance-like state when she does this.

I think if you load it to a photobucket account (if that allows audio?) it would work. Otherwise, youtube?

I'm definitely no behavior expert, just from experience and others' accounts. It would be cool to see what the sound is. If it is chirping that would be cool, because I have only witnessed it when things have been deathly quiet in the house, and all of my pigs freeze. A happy pig doing it would be cool, and probably sound much better than my pigs whining about being brushed :)

Maybe it really is them calling aliens!

Hmmm.....I know that people in San Diego are a bit different, but calling aliens?? Jeez the only time I ever saw an alien was when I was riding my bicycle up to Carlsbad and back! :eek:

The rescue down here is within shouting distance of the border fence... now I'm wondering which aliens they are calling?!

Yep! He sounds just like a bird and was completely still just staring at the other one. I will try to get a video if he does it again.

Iris Ave.!

And sorry, Leslie, for the hijack. What you just described sounds about right with the stopping and staring. The other pigs are probably wondering what that strange bird noise is, too. There was recently a video uploaded on here around a month ago that was a great chirping example, if you search "chirping" you might find it.

:p no worries!! I did look at some youtube ones and they are exactly what he does. I hope to catch him next time.

I have a chirper, I listened to the audio that bpatters added first to make sure I was understanding what chirping meant. She's a baby though. One chirps, one purrs, both wheek when I turn on the water in the kitchen because they think they're getting veggies. I always wash off their veggies before they eat it and they know that the sink means veggies are on the way. So cute. I love all the sounds they make.

I have one girl that has chirped but i have only heard her do it twice. Although both times were for several minutes it was late at night, all the lights were off and there was complete silence except for her. I checked online to be sure what it meant but i still dont know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.