Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chirping

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Chatty did it when I was in the living room watching tv and the lights were on (pig cage is in living room). I heard this noise and thought a wild bird got in the house. I looked at the cage and there she was chirping away. She did it for about 10 minutes then quit and hasn't done it since but I sooooo wish she would. I loved it.

I have at least two confirmed chirpers in my herd. They mostly do it in the middle of the night, but Snuggles once started chirping on my lap. I thought he was having a fit at first.

For us, it usually happens after a major change in their lives, such as being introduced to new cagemates.

Mine chirp when they are happy! Especially when they are eating! But there are different kinds of chirping, like when they grind their teeth together, that is thought to mean they are scared or angry. So really it depends on what kind of chirping. I guess you could say it's just their way of telling you wether they are happy or scared. Hope that helped! :)

Wheezer what noises exactly are you referring to. When I hear the word "chirping" I think of the bird noise. Most other noises, I refer to as wheeks, different types of chattering and various squeals.

I am almost positive it mainly means being happy, but I could be wrong.
The reason why, is because I have heard my pigs chirp multiple times. It is very loud too! And the thing is, all my pigs are always pop-corning about and just love to get attetino, purr, ect. Just today, my Chubby(who popcorns everytime you stroke him, poke him, ect. And also a loner pig) made some very loud chirps, and just kept going for a minute or so. I even went to his cage and he kept chirping. So I think it means they are happy, but that's me.

Mine always chirp when they want their vegetables, if im walking by their cage and havent given them to them yet.

Wilson does it sound like they are going "wheeeeeeeeeek, wheek wheek wheeeeeekkkkk".

To clarify which sound it is, I suggest you go to (broken link removed) and click on the paw signs to hear the various guinea pig sounds (you need Flash installed to hear it).

For those who do not speak German, it is (from left above):

unhappy purring - greeting

annoyed - quite happy

- the squeal for food

chirping

Last edited:
4Girls said:
I'm not sure if you are hearing an actual chirp. The first time I heard it it sounded like a bird. I know pigs will make throaty sounds when being held - I believe it is their way of purring when content.
Don't mean to be rude, but I think I know what I am hearing. Its a chirping sound. You are contradicting yourself when you said it sounded like a bird. In my book a bird chirps. They wheek, they also make a noise like a motor and they make a sound like a chirp. At least that is what its sounds to me.

There's a good sound file example of the chirping sound on the link I posted. Of course, I've found that GPs sort of all make their own kind of noise, anyway.

Mine have never chirped (that I've heard), but the make an assortment of other noises that are hard to define. One of them bubbles and sounds like 3rd world plumbing all the time. He bubbles when he walks. The older one makes what *I* would call a happy chirpy noise when he's mad at the other one. He doesn't rumble (the little one does), he chirps and then clips his teeth.

They just make all kinds of weird noises, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the most endearing quality. When I'm stressed or sick, I lay down in their room, open their gates and let them run around and they talk and bubble and chatter as they go exploring.

But GPs DO chirp like birds, though apparently not frequently and no one is really sure what it means. Listen to the sound file at the GuineaLynx site - it sounds just like a bird.

Fawn

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.