Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Chirping, tag and popcorn.

sseahorse

Cavy Slave
Our household has only had our piggies for 3 weeks and I think I heard them chirp this morning. My two legged boys were eating breakfast and I was getting breakfast ready for our guinea pigs when I heard this unusual sound. Pirate Jack ran to the corner that is closest to me and started chirping! I think he was happy? Does it normally mean happy or could they have been startled by the morning activities?

Also, I know they popcorn and race around, but they normally do not do it when I can watch. Last night they were taking turns zooming around their cage. It was almost like they were playing tag. I saw this from my couch in the family room. I had to sit up really tall and move slowly into position to see them run around. One would be in the kitchen and the other would run through their tunnel and then around the house and then back into the kitchen. Then the other one that was in the kitchen would run off! They did this for half an hour last night. This morning, they were both popcorning around their cage and they actually let me watch them for a minute before running off to hide.

But back to my original question, did my little boy chirp in happiness or warning?

They sound happy to me!! :)

Usually they only chirp when it's quiet, and will stop at any noise. It sounds just like a baby bird cheeping, and not at all like a wheek.

Oh, the scourge of our (very) obscure noise descriptions. Running around like maniacs and popcorning are typically good things, they sound like happy, hungry pigs to me.

I've always associated chirping with a warning sound. I've had a few chirpers and they always chirped the first time when they were startled. I've had two that would chirp while I was watching and I videotaped one of them. My guinea pigs wheek when they hear breakfast coming. They are very different sounds. Chirping can range from the chirping sound you hear squirrels make when they warn animals to stay away to what sound like a singing canary.

It was very bird like, but it could have been a high pitched wheek? I don't really know. lol I am so new to guinea pigs that their noises are so strange to me. He was doing it with all of us there and he wasn't afraid because he was far away from his normal hiding place. He stopped as soon as the kids stood infront of him. It probably was a happy/hungry sound?

It was very bird like, but it could have been a high pitched wheek? I don't really know. lol I am so new to guinea pigs that their noises are so strange to me. He was doing it with all of us there and he wasn't afraid because he was far away from his normal hiding place. He stopped as soon as the kids stood infront of him. It probably was a happy/hungry sound?

Here's an old video of Twinkie chirping. Keep in mind that this is an old video and was before I switched to coroplast and grids.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Chirping, tag and popcorn.

Mine make a warning sound when they want the other one to get away, but the chirping sounds only like singing. They do it only when everything is quiet and still, and if anything or anyone makes a noise, they stop.

Pinky's post is a good example of chirping, but my chirper varies the pitch more than that -- she's got several musical notes in her repertoire.

Thanks. I think it probably was a very high pitched wheek. It was very close to chirping but he did it again this morning when I was making his breakfast. Their little noises are fun but so difficult to decipher. lol

Mine make a warning sound when they want the other one to get away, but the chirping sounds only like singing. They do it only when everything is quiet and still, and if anything or anyone makes a noise, they stop.

Pinky's post is a good example of chirping, but my chirper varies the pitch more than that -- she's got several musical notes in her repertoire.

There's a big variation between every chirper. I had twin teddies; one of which barbered her sister so bad, I had to separate them. I think it really upset the barberer because she started chirping after the separation. She had a beautiful chirp; like a canary with different tones and notes. She was the only one that would continue chirping, even if we walked up to her and sat by her cage. I watched her really closely. The sound seemed to come from deep in her throat. I could see her neck vibrate. Her mouth would be open but her lips never moved. I wish I had taped her.

I'm guessing it would probably be a wheek because my hungry pigs always wheek when they here me preparing breakfast/dinner! I've also never headr my pigs chirp before, and the video above was the first time I ever heard a chirpin' pig :)

My Rosie Chirped when she got sick, before she died, it was painful to hear.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.