Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chins Chinchilla Neuter!~

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Does anyone here have any experience with neutering their male chinchillas?

My 2 baby boys are due to be neutered on August 15th. They will be 12 weeks and some days. My vet is very savvy and has down this before. That part I am not worried about.

I've had guinea pigs neutered by her as well. If you've been through this; any tips and information you can share with me would be amazing.

I know they will need a small, very clean cage. With no ledges or houses they can jump on. These boys are spider monkeys and do climb and jump their ferret nation... which makes me a bit worried. Should I split their FN single to prevent this? I know it's best to have limited space.

Please.. no backlash with them getting neutered. I have 6 female chinchillas and neutering is needed for me to be able to keep them.

Back story, if you want to know!~

I adopted a pregnant female back in March 2014. She gave birth in May. Had 2 male and 1 female kits. Kits are now 9 weeks. Males are separated from the girls now to prevent pregnancy. I have fallen for these boys but have tried to find a good home for them. I haven't had any luck finding an appropriate forever home for them that is chin savvy. I do not have room in my rodent room for 4 chinchilla cages double Ferret Nations. I do not believe in housing 2 chins in a single unit. Personal opinion

I have a solo female that hasn't been accepted with either my trio or pair of females. It's not her; it's my dominant females.

My thoughts on this are:

The boys get neutered and recover then can be introed with my solo girl, Violet.

OR

I can separate the boys and have 1 go with Violet and the other go with my female pair.

*If* you have been through this- what would you do as far as bondings go?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.