Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Chico and Amigo's med thread

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Watching him lie on my chest, declining rapidly, is an agony I can't get out of my head and I would not wish on anyone else. I will carry those few final hours with him with me until my last day here. I understand the rationale behind giving him pain meds and seeing what will happen. It's probably what I would have done too. As long as he's not in pain and acts fine, it should be ok. Until it isn't. And when it isn't it will come in a big hurry.

I couldn't have said it better. I had a similar experience with one of my beloved boys. We had just come home from the Vet when he started declining. I was so happy that he was able to lie in my arms and feel my love as he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. As painful as it was for me, I was somewhat comforted by the fact that he was able to pass in his safe space....lying on my chest. Try to separate what is best for Amigo from what you wish for him. It's not always easy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I was so happy that he was able to lie in my arms and feel my love as he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. As painful as it was for me, I was somewhat comforted by the fact that he was able to pass in his safe space....lying on my chest.

That is the only positive I have from that experience. Every single one of my pigs except for Pooper has passed away in the exact same spot. They can feel and hear my heart as they pass on. Knowing how full of love that heart is for them.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I started debating euthanasia. I don't think I can afford a surgery. It's just not feasible. I put so much into Chico, and then there was my eye injury. I've never made a choice to pts an animal who wasn't already immediately dying. I have seen our clients try to decide whether euthanasia is right. But never done it myself. Idk when/if would be okay for him. Obviously, I don't want a blockage. I have plenty of vet access and work at a vet, so he could get in somewhere fast, but the outcome would still be the same - death. I suppose I'll give it a few days and then discuss QOL with the doctor.

As for our regular GP vet. I had been hired there, and they did a lot of stuff I didn't like (both safety and animal handling). So I don't feel comfortable going back there right now.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I have had a few recommendations to try Sherwood urinary tablets...some people saying it will dissolve stones. I know bpatters says Sherwood is based on junk science. I figure it can't hurt to try the tablets, so I ordered them. They are here - [removed].

Edited by bpatters: There's no guarantee that they won't hurt, and there's nothing that will dissolve an existing stone. An herb like shilintong will relax the urethra, possibly allowing a stone to pass if it's not too large. But the only option for possible success is surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Amigo seems to be doing okay. The pain meds are helping and he's not crying nearly as much. I haven't seen any blood in his urine since the vet visit either. I've also changed the diet to foods w/ less calcium, and bought a water filter so no one else gets stones. It's probably partly my fault, since in the past I unknowingly gave them a lot of higher-calcium veggies, and usually a big pile in one sitting. Now they're all getting much less.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear he's doing okay. Not gonna lie, I've been worried about him and thinking about him.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
GUINEA PIG_ABDOMEN_995.jpg

Here is one of his rads. You can see the stone up in his hip bones. You can also see the sludge. There is something else that shows up further in the middle of his body, that's there on all the rads, but idk what it is and I never asked. But, he seems okay, so we're just taking it day by day til the boar dating. They also found bad arthrtis in his left leg. I was always curious about that since he protests a lot when I cut those nails.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
On the subject of changing the diet to lower calcium food, one of my favorite YouTubers, Autumn Grace, is now feeding just lettuce to her piggies every other day. Is this a good route to go? I've pretty much given my pigs lettuce, radicchio, and green pepper every other day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't. They need the vitamins and minerals they get from a varied veggie diet. Lettuce is mostly crunchy water.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
On the subject of changing the diet to lower calcium food, one of my favorite YouTubers, Autumn Grace, is now feeding just lettuce to her piggies every other day. Is this a good route to go? I've pretty much given my pigs lettuce, radicchio, and green pepper every other day.

I wouldn't do just lettuce. I went off the Guinealynx page and the UK gpig forum, and buy veggies lower in calcium, and I give them way less than I used to. I used to do a lot of spinach, parsley, spring mix, carrots, and romaine. Right now they have parsley, cucumber, and green peppers in the fridge. I switch it up when they run out.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Strangely enough, Amigo is doing well. The past couple days, he seems a lot brighter. Along w/ the diet change, filtered water, and metacam, I've been giving him the urinary supplement from a certain brand. His crying has been reduced to a few times a day. By nature I am a huge skeptic and was skeptical of the urinary supplements, but if they're helping (along w/ everything else), and they do what they claim, I'll be floored. If he continues to do well, I do intend on getting more rads done sometime in the future to see how things have progressed. That's not to say I agree with the other suggested diet the brand has - pellets and hay only, and no veggies. I'm not doing that.

Since he seems well, I decided to keep the bonding appt on Saturday. He's been very very bored, and he's been chewing on his plastic houses. He also hasn't slept out in the open since Chico died. I'm very tired of having to constantly 'get new friends', but I'm excited to see him with another pig again.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so happy knowing he's doing better. It does seem to be an endless cycle of getting new buddies when one passes. I don't mind new pigs so I don't feel the need to break the cycle. I have found that a new pig helps to shift my focus away from the grief of losing one, but in no way does it eliminate it. I just find a little solace in giving a new pig the best home I can give them.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Today is our boar dating!

The last three days...I haven't needed to give Amigo his metacam. He hasn't cried in pain at all, at least while I've been home. When I'm home, I spend most of my time in my living room next to their cages, and I haven't heard a peep from him. It's amazing. I'm a huge skeptic on claims like Sherwood makes, but the fact that he's not crying after taking those tablets, along with diet changes, is very interesting. But I'm not saying yet it is the tablets causing this. I won't say that til it's been a while and Amigo gets more xrays to prove that it's helping the sludge/stones.

But this I know - Amigo hasn't cried in pain when going potty in 3 days. He is acting much brighter. He seems practically normal. A week to 2 weeks ago, he was making a lot of noise and then on the day we went to the vet he was crying with every poop and I cried at the vet when we discussed surgery. And now...it's like it never happened.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This makes me very happy to hear. Just knowing Amigo is feeling better is wonderful news. I truly am hoping for better news to come.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Amigo bonded with my first piggie choice, a teddy/sheltie mix with red eyes. He's a unique looking pig! He was left in a house with his ex-partner after the people moved. He had a falling out w/ his old partner after coming to the rescue. Apparently people kept skipping over this pig due to his red eyes. I don't understand why people think red-eyed animals are evil or something. I have a red-eyed hamster I just love because he looks so different and his eyes 'glow' in the right light.

They made buddies fast at the rescue - popcorning, grooming, and being friendly. The rescue prefers owners don't hang around for bonding, so I didn't see any of that. I have literally never seen Amigo popcorn (aside from a couple times). They are doing well at home, mostly just chasing and a little humping. I hope they stay bonded!

279320998_1308730169615826_4343807634822022876_n.jpg 279153151_747875386210236_2990962314477494821_n (1).jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
This is great news. I don’t understand the red eyes thing either. I know those big brown eyes are cute, but the red eyes seem to have a little attitude or personality. I would also suspect that people who don’t really like mice and rats may be put off.

Anyway, I’m happy that Amigo seems to be feeling better and I hope it continues. And I’m happy they both found a friend. What will you name him? Guapo means handsome. Or maybe Rico Suave with all that wavy hair.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If you love red eyes, then you will appreciate pics of my dearly-departed Maya. She was the only sow and only Texel I have ever had. She was beautiful, but dumb as a stump! You can probably see that she had "pea eye" which disqualified her from being shown in competition, but only slightly affected her peripheral vision. She was unique in that she would sleep on her back in my arms.

Happy to hear that Amigo has a new buddy and it obviously has perked up! Great news for both of them.

Here's Maya:

Diva side.jpg Maya's pea eye.jpg

Attachments

C&M - dandelion tug.jpg Maya - Pre HC face - Copy.jpg Piggy Nap.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Your Maya was a beauty, and how cute that she sleeps on her back. I had an old cat who did that.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Such good news to wake up to. Your new guy is a handsome little devil, and their bonding story sounds very much like both Leo's bonding to Scooter, and subsequently to Simon.

My fingers are crossed for Amigo's continued healing and I look forward to hearing news that he is improving! And whatever you choose to name him, I am so glad he found his way to your home. His abandonment story makes me sad, and incredibly angry that people can do that.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Ugh well they had a fight this morning. Amigo got a cut on his lip and nose. I'm worried this won't work out. I emailed the rescue to see what they think. I don't want to do another divided cage, so I will have to switch Charlie for someone else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.