Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Chico and Amigo's med thread

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The conundrum is always "when" to have to make that decision. It's a good possibility that he might need extra vitamin C, but an equally good possibility that there's more to it and that it may be his time. Only you know him best. It's one of the most difficult things to have to do. I will say this. He has had the best home since you adopted him, and he hit the jackpot with someone who cares. I know you'll do the right thing for him no matter how much it hurts. We are all with you.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@4boipigs, my heart goes out to you. While you have accepted it that you will need to put Amigo pts soon, the actual step of doing so is truly difficult. Sending positive and healing thoughts to you and Amigo.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Thanks for the kind words. I think Amigo does have some life left in him. When he runs up to me to beg for food, I know I can't do it yet. He seems like the same Amigo he's always been. He's eating well and he still has good poops.

I did notice that there was some fur loss on his left hind leg, which is the one with arthrtis. I've read arthritic pigs will chew painful areas.

I try to take it day by day, but the more I see him have issues the more it bothers me.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Amigo was pts this morning. He wouldn't eat when I woke up and looked miserable, so I went to the ER...at 5am. They were able to get a catheter in and I was able to be with him as he was pts. It was very fast and peaceful, MUCH better than having to gas them and then do the injection.

I am not really sad, I knew it was coming and figured it would be this month. Obviously I wish it wasn't so soon but it's done and I won't have to worry about him anymore.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@4boipigs ......... I know it was for the best, and I know his ordeal is now at an end. It still makes me incredibly sad to know that his journey is over. He and his brother may not have had the best start at life, but because of you they both knew what it was like to have love, great care and a dedicated piggy parent . You changed both their lives immeasurably for the better. Thank you for being the piggy parent that you are.

Rest easy now at the Rainbow Bridge, Amigo. I'm certain that Chico was there to greet you and the two of you are happily running through the grass looking for the best veggies. Maybe you've even found Bruin and Little Bear and you can all reflect on the wonderful home you all shared.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
@4boipigs ......... I know it was for the best, and I know his ordeal is now at an end. It still makes me incredibly sad to know that his journey is over. He and his brother may not have had the best start at life, but because of you they both knew what it was like to have love, great care and a dedicated piggy parent . You changed both their lives immeasurably for the better. Thank you for being the piggy parent that you are.

Rest easy now at the Rainbow Bridge, Amigo. I'm certain that Chico was there to greet you and the two of you are happily running through the grass looking for the best veggies. Maybe you've even found Bruin and Little Bear and you can all reflect on the wonderful home you all shared.

Thanks for the kind words. The ER vet also told me I must take good care of them. It's so nice to have the doctors tell me that. Anyway, I am a little sad but it is just not as soulcrushing as a sudden death (like Gimbly). Amigo doesn't have to suffer and he had such a good life. I can reflect on him in good ways, even his euthanasia was so fast and we were together. Those are the kinds of ending I want everyone to have. I'm glad we were able to beat the bladder stones and have a few more months together.

I know Gungnir will miss him too. Gungnir just loved Amigo. Hopefully he will love his new brother just as much. Gungnir seems to be fine, as he likely knew the death was coming anyway.

Chico and Amigo were my first boys and I love them so much. Chico was my fav and so cute. Amigo was the wellbehaved brother who never made a sound and barely ever wheeked.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My condolences 4boipigs. Your little pigs have such good care, and you were right to take Amigo in when you saw his quality of life wasn’t what it should be. Take care of yourself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.