Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Chico and Amigo's med thread

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Is there anything I can do for Amigo's arthritis? I'm sure the weight loss is not helping. He hops around on his back legs most of the time. I've seen him have a hard time getting over the little lip of their tunnels. A few times he has just stopped moving or can't get up. That concerns me the most, but it has only happened a few times and it's when I need to pick him up for meds and he is trying to get away.

He loves his metacam. I just bought Oxbow joint support. I'm guessing those are my only options.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One of my senior pigs, whose knees were totally destroyed by arthritis, lived well for a year on pretty high doses of metacam. I know it has the potential for side effects, but she never showed any of them.

You might also try glucosamine. I'm not sure about the dosage, but I do know that some owners have used it with their pigs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I HAVE used glucosamine. I will have to go and see, if somewhere in Sly's medical thread if I posted the dosage in there. I can't remember for the life of me how much the dosage in the bottle was (it was a human glucosamine from Costco) but I filled a 1 ml syringe with it. It appeared to help Poopers arthritis, and Sly started getting it when he was younger than. Pooper and never really seemed to develop any arthritis whatsoever. If he did it was mild and unnoticeable.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And I lied. Sly DID develop arthritis, both in his jaw which MAY have either been a cause or effect of his dental issues. I think it was an effect honestly. He really only developed the mobility kind of arthris late in his life, perhaps in the last 6 months. He WAS almost 7. I'm sorry I couldnt find the dosage but I may be able to find something to help if you give me a little time.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The Oxbow treats do have glucosamine...altho I have no idea how much he would need in order for it to actually help. I just started giving them yesterday.

Active Ingredients: Glucosamine (Plant Based): 90 mg, Manna Oligosaccharide (MOS): 40 mg, Turmeric Powder: 22.5 mg, Ginger Root: 18 mg, Yucca Schidigera Extract: 9 mg, Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA): 2 mg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes that sounds about right. I remember switching to those , but Sly wouldn't eat them. I had to grind them up and mix them with critical care.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Luckily Amigo loves the Oxbow joint treats.

He just had another 'can't move' event. I was sitting on my couch next to them as usual, and heard them running around like Gungnir had lunged at Amigo or got spooked (Gungnir is still very flighty). I looked up and Amigo was laying on his side and wouldn't move. After several seconds he got up and now they're eating again.

I'm wondering if maybe I should email our vet. I just assume it's arthritis, but at the same time, it's a little strange.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Amigo had ANOTHER event a while ago when I gave them hay. I was trying to navigate around the pigs so the hay didn't fall on them. Not sure what happened, but Amigo fell over. I helped him up and he got around fine. No one was spooked that time.

I know dogs with CHF can faint, but he seems conscious.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I emailed the vet about Amigo's 'falling' episodes. She said we could give him tramadol (compounded) for arthritis. He is still acting normal but his poops have been a little smaller.

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It almost sounds neurological to me. I don't really think arthritis would cause him to just fall over. And tramadol would really zonk him out to the point where he'd likely just sleep all the time.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure. It's not a real fall. This morning he did it while walking away from me, his back end just collapses to a laying down position but the rest of him is normal. I helped him up and he went on his way. The tramadol is probably going to be pricy and I'm already paying $100 for his heart meds and have to take my dog to the neurologist. I'll see how he does before I get it for sure.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure. It's not a real fall. This morning he did it while walking away from me, his back end just collapses to a laying down position but the rest of him is normal. I helped him up and he went on his way. The tramadol is probably going to be pricy and I'm already paying $100 for his heart meds and have to take my dog to the neurologist. I'll see how he does before I get it for sure.
Poor little guy. That makes me terribly sad to think of him like that. Can he get up on his own or does he always need assistance?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Poor little guy. That makes me terribly sad to think of him like that. Can he get up on his own or does he always need assistance?

He has been able to get up when this happens. It lasts a few seconds. I haven't yet see him where he can't get up at all. He doesn't struggle or try to run when it happens. It's pretty weird. I just help him when I see it because of course I don't want to see him like that.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sweet little man. Wish the best for him. He's got a good mom.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
But plz don't feel sad for him. All things considered, he's still doing well. He has someone who cares about him, he has a pig friend who is crazy for him, and he's living his best life. I know we only have so much time left, and I accept that. When he dies, he'll be free from having to deal with heart issues, bladder stones, and arthritis. I think Gungnir is going to take the loss harder than me.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whenever I lose one of mine, they always take a big piece of me with them. When someone here on the forum loses a pig that I've tried to help, I always take it personally. I know I shouldn't but..............I guess that's the way I'm wired.

Incidentally, tomorrow marks four years since Sly left me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Without reading back, have you tried giving him additional vitamin C? The collapsing of his back legs sounds like possible scurvy, and pigs don't process vitamins as well when they're older as they did when they were younger.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
They do get Oxbow vitamin c once daily. I can give more if needed. He has received it every day for the past 2 yrs. I haven't given him extra tho, I can always do that.

Today when I came home for lunch, he was laying down/sleeping, and struggling to get his back legs under him when he saw me. He later 'fell' after he managed to get up.

If these leg issues get worse, then I'll probably choose to pts.

Without reading back, have you tried giving him additional vitamin C? The collapsing of his back legs sounds like possible scurvy, and pigs don't process vitamins as well when they're older as they did when they were younger.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd try 100 mg. of vitamin C per day for a week and see if that helps any. The Oxbow tablets only have about 25 mg. of vitamin in them, and that's not enough to help if he's deficient.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Amigo is down to 676 grams. He was 730 at the vet on July 19ish. I think something is going on with his left front leg. He eats well and still acts like Amigo, but I'm afraid I should pts soon. I don't want to and I accepted his fate but it's still hard to do it.

Attachments

20220807_194543.jpg