Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Chico and Amigo's med thread

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's almost certainly effects from the anesthetic. Don't take this the wrong way, as I am not knocking your vet. Whenever any of my pigs had dental work done, they usually had it done during the early afternoon so the vet could observe them for the rest of the day and had us pick him up around 6:00 or 7:00 at night. During that time they were always kept in a warmer environment because the anesthetic can cause their systems to slow down, and they get cold easily. I remember you saying that he wasn't a good candidate for surgery beforehand, so his weight prior to is certainly a factor in how he's handling this.

My fingers are crossed for your little guy. Simon and Leo send their weeks and grumbles of encouragement for Chico.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Chico died in his sleep at the hospital a couple hours into his stay. I am going to bring him home so Amigo can say goodbye.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh no. I can't say enough how sorry I am
And I feel some responsibility in this. I am so so sorry.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Well, there was probably a lot of things going on with him. He saw 3 different vets (Friday, Mon, today) so we did all we could. Maybe it was just his time. I did everything I could, which is what I wanted to do. Him passing while at the hospital means he was ready. They had him on a warmer and on oxygen. I approved a hefty estimate for him, but they didn't get a chance to do any diagnostics. They asked some questions about his appt yesterday, curious about if we had done more rads and if subq fluids had been given. Something to think about in the future.

I let Amigo visit with Chico. Amigo sniffed him, made some noise, and rumbled. I figured that as the days went by, Amigo/Chico knew what was happening and took their leave.

I want to get Amigo checked out really good before attempting to get him a friend. He's been crying when he poops and I'm curious if his breathing rate is a little high. Right now I'm not in a rush to adopt. I want Amigo to be in a good spot. I don't want to have to keep going thru adopting, death, adopting again.

I had entertained the idea of putting everyone side by side if Amigo grieves poorly in the mean time. I don't have very much space so it's going to suck putting them side by side. Amigo would remain in the 2x5 and I'll have to figured out what to do with Maple Leaf and Trishula.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No one could ever say that you didn't do enough. You literally did everything. All of those boys are so very lucky to have found you in the end.

I know what you mean about death, and adopting. That's literally all I've done since losing Pooper back in 2016. But, I take solace in knowing that even though I can't save them all, I can save another one, or two. Even though it hurts so damn much to lose one, I will probably keep doing what I do until I physically can't any more. Mentally........might be a different story.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, [MENTION=46209]4boipigs[/MENTION]. You gave him excellent care.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My condolences, 4boipigs, I’m so sorry to read this. It sounds like he had a few things going on that just couldn’t be resolved. Your pigs get the best care, and they are very fortunate to have such a good home. Take care of yourself.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@4 boipigs, I'm so very sorry to read about Chico's passing and you certainly did everything possible to take care of his medical problems. Just as with Amigo, give yourself some time to heal first.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the kind words. We've both been doing okay. Amigo isn't acting like he's lost a friend. He's acting normal. I'm still looking into getting a friend. I want an older boar, but they're hard to come by. I did find a senior in San Antonio but they had to take him off the adoption list due to health issues. I'll be happy with an adult for him. I won't do a baby, considering Maple Leaf was such a pest to Gimbly when he started puberty. I'm also not gonna try bonding myself with an animal shelter pig since Trishula and Maple Leaf don't get along.

There is a shelter near me that has a lot of neutered boys, which would be nice because I could later pair with a girl after Amigo passes. But they're all 4 months old.

I took Chico to be cremated at our vet yesterday. I also got Gimbly's paw print from last month (had picked up his ashes and forgot the paw print).

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Chico! You most certainly were loved.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
I decided I'm going to adopt again from Texas Rustlers (for real this time). Hopefully they have May 7 which is when I know I am off work. I am taking Amigo to the vet next week. He's been doing really well by himself, but I want 2 pigs running around together again. Amigo is a quiet, submissive boy so I hope we can find someone who won't pester him. I decided to avoid babies since I don't think I can handle another puberty boy.

I did try finding a senior pig, but unfortunately the only senior is in San Antionio but he got ill when I messaged them and he had to be treated and maybe pts. :(

I'm trying to find a good Spanish name to match the cheesy matching quality of Chico and Amigo.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Amigo's been crying quite a bit tonite actually. He will make some quiet noises and then one louder one when he poops. I gave him some of Chico's metacam for now. Have to work all weekend, will see what I can do if he gets worse. Hopefully he can last til Tuesday morning.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Amigo is crying much more today. There is blood in his urine again (had a UTI last Feb). Vet visit is today. I'm a little uncertain about getting a friend if his prognosis is poor, but it probably isn't fair to die alone.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Blood in his urine is likely bladder stones, possibly a URI. I do hope it isn't stones. Fingers crossed for him today.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
He has a big stone near his urethra. Could cause a blockage at some point. Also has lots of sludge. Vet says surgery is best. But their surgical team all quit. Gave me some options on where to go. Idk. I'm scared he will die from surgery and frankly I am afraid I won't be able to pay back a credit card balance for it ($1200 to $1500). They are giving me pain meds in the mean time. Not sure what to do. Vet says getting a buddy for him is still fine at least. I just don't wanna risk both of us (his life, money, etc).

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
it probably isn't fair to die alone.

Not a great reason to get another cavy right now. If Amigo crosses the Rainbow Bridge, then you will have another cavy who needs a friend. Just give Amigo lots of attention and love right now until things are more settled.

Quick story about bladder stones. I have only had one femaie in the past 10+ years and Maya developed a stone. Now this isn't as significant for a female because her urethra is shorter (about one-fourth the length of a male) and wider, while the male urethra is long and narrow. But, I digress. Maya developed a stone + sludge and over the weekend, I began syringing copious amounts of water to her. On the Following Tuesday, she had an ultrasound to see precisely what was going on. and to my surprise (and delight), there was no sign of sludge. The stone itself hadn't moved. In fact, the stone lodged in her urethra and stayed there until the day she died. Other than the rare UTI, it didn't seem to cause much of a issue. This may have absolutely nothing to do wih Amigo's situation, but thought it might be of interest. If that stone lodges in his urethra, then it is a real medical emergency.......but I'm sure that you are aware of that.

Both GPP and I have had more than our share of cavies with health issues, but I thankfully now have two boys who are healthy and happy and I pray they stay that way.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Not a great reason to get another cavy right now. If Amigo crosses the Rainbow Bridge, then you will have another cavy who needs a friend. Just give Amigo lots of attention and love right now until things are more settled.

Well I've been distraught all day and I've thought about his boar bonding appt on May 7th. I'm just going to keep it for now and if I need to cancel I will. The rescue will understand. I have the next 2 days off, and then some days off next week so I can watch him and decide what to do. Maybe the pain meds will help and he'll feel fine. I'm just not sure if I should risk the surgery or just let him live his life. I will never be happy w/ myself if he has that surgery and dies, when right now aside from the pain he is doing everything else normally. He's been having much less pain since he got metacam this morning, but he still cries every now and then. In the mean time I'll be thinking about a low calcium diet and getting a water filter so no one else gets stones.

I'm waiting for the doctor to send me the xrays so I can get a better look at them and debate how big of a blockage risk there is also.

I just really don't feel that I could afford to pay the bill (I had hurt my eye and then Chico got ill/died in 2 weeks), and I'm not sure when/if I should step in w/ euthanasia.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so very sorry to hear he too has a stone.

I have gone back and forth with myself after reading your post about his diagnosis. The only clear advice I can give is honestly painful to give. It is NOT easy for me to say, even though from my perspective it must seem that way.

You may, or may not know Scooter was taken from me by a stone. He had radiographs taken two weeks before and there was no stone present. All of what happened to him happened in a matter of hours.

At 630 that morning he was begging for a treat and climbing the cage bars. He had blood in his urine for the first time at 10 am that day, and for the second and final time at noon. He became increasingly fidgety, uncomfortable and unwell looking throughout the afternoon. I should add his tummy seemed to visibly increase in size. I sent him to the vet at 4pm, where they gave him subQ fluids, a shot of Baytril, and wanted him back first thing in the morning.

He came home from the vet at about 6pm. By around 7, he had lost all muscle tone. He began agonally breathing around 830 and passed shortly after 9pm. Of course at the time I had no idea it was a stone that caused a blockage. That knowledge came later. Had I known what it was, when he went to the vet at 4 I would have had them send him across the Rainbow Bridge. Watching him lie on my chest, declining rapidly, is an agony I can't get out of my head and I would not wish on anyone else. I will carry those few final hours with him with me until my last day here.

I understand the rationale behind giving him pain meds and seeing what will happen. It's probably what I would have done too. As long as he's not in pain and acts fine, it should be ok. Until it isn't. And when it isn't it will come in a big hurry.

I will be completely honest with you. I am crying sitting here typing this because I know exactly what you're feeling now. Painful memories for me. I don't want you to end up with similar ones. Obviously, you know Amigo best and will do what is right for him. I wish you both all the luck and health and happiness in the world. Amigo, Chico, Bruin, Little Bear.......and now Maple Leaf and Trishula are all so very, very lucky to have landed in your care. They couldn't be in better hands.