Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Chico and Amigo's med thread

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Chico hasn't eaten as much this morning. I weighed him and he's at 907 grams. The vet had 1.99kg but that's likely wrong so I'm going to assume he was 1.99lbs. So he hasn't lost any weight since Friday. He's having a mix of small dry poop, and he had a normal poop a few minutes ago (just one).

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
As usual I've been worried all day. Chico won't eat or drink at all. I have been giving him CC and water every couple of hours. It takes me about half an hour to do it. I've been trying w/ different size syringes to see which is easiest. Chico is mostly standing/hunched and looking unwell, either in his tunnel or he burrows into the hay. I put hay in front of his tunnel hoping he'll eat, and he's only tried to do that a few minutes ago. Otherwise, Amigo just eats it all while Chico just stands there. How long do I let this go on til we see a vet (Banfield vet not comfortable w/ gpigs)? He's been taking the metacam, simethicone, and metoclopromide. However he doesn't feel bloated at all - just skin and bones, like when I first got him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A half hour for a full feeding sounds normal, if he's co operative. It's double that or more if he isn't. I always pre-loaded a 12ml Monoject 412 with critical care, and then used that to fill a 1cc syringe. It cut my feeding time huge, and also eliminated a lot of waste.

I'm going to guess pain is probably what's making him not want to eat, however, he does have a pretty good compliment of drugs in him that may also upset his tummy.

I'd give it another day or two, and then get him back in. I know how rough it is, believe me. How is his output since you've been regularly feeding critical care? And you have been giving him benebac a couple times a day, yes?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
He doesn't have a ton of poops, but they are still a mix of bad (dry, small) and normal. I'm cleaning often so I know what is his and not Amigo.

I wrap him up to feed so all he can do is move his head. He doesn't try to escape.

I've read on a few sites metacam can be given twice a day (vet said once a day) and he later laid down and slept normally after the second dose.

20220417_193631.jpg
20220417_195754.jpg

Wish the pics would attach right

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The forum app doesn’t rotate to correct the pictures if they’re sideways or upside down. Rotate the pictures on your phone and save them, then upload and they’ll be right-side up.

Sorry about Chico not eating today. I hope you get him back on track.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I made an appt at our vet at 1pm. Chico has not perked up. I did see him drink on his own this morning and eat hay, but it was just a few strands. He is standing/hunched all the time, and only lays down when I'm feeding him on my lap. I've also seen some bloody spots, and with the discovery of bladder stones, there is probably a UTI or something else happening. He also has a bit of nasal discharge on the left side, which I believe is the overgrown molar side. When isn't in a tunnel, he has made a nest in the hay. He has nibbled a few times since I've made the appt, but we're still going. He also has that dull look in his eyes like Gimbly did the day he had GDV. He does try to run away and is curious about his surroundings when he's on my lap for feeding.

I pretty much don't care what it costs to fix him...I just don't want him to die so soon after Gimbly. Plus I am not keen on having to babysit him while I'm at work, since my coworkers know nothing about pigs or are allergic. We do have a doctor who has gpigs, but idk if she works when I do.

I attached his rads, there were 2 views but only got 1 emailed to me so far. But you can see the stones. I'm curious about doing bloodwork, which he's had before at the original exotics vet in 2020.

His weight went down to 860grams, from 907 yesterday.

Apparently guinea pigs can get feeding tubes; idk if it can really be done as there isn't much online, but I'd be willing to do that. I also thought about hospitalizing him, but they don't do 24 hr hospitalization at the normal vet. I did contact the vet who saw him on Friday, but she's out today.

Untitled.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds like whatever needs to be done, it needs to be quickly. I'm actually worried about that discharge as well as it may be more than just the overgrown molars. Those stones are a fair size, but I don't have much experience with those. The only experience I did have with it didn't turn out well.

Fingers are crossed for Chico. Get well soon little man.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Long story short, the vet did his exam and looked really good at Chico's teeth and said molars are overgrown badly and need to trim them. Chico is a risky anesthesia patient rn but given Little Bear got his eye removed, I think Chico can handle this. Poor Amigo couldn't stay tho. Now to wait for them to call me and say he's done.

Any aftercare tips? Should I still bring him to work with me tomorrow?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. I would if you have the option. There is a good possibility that he will eat all on his own when he comes home, but you need to be prepared for the possibility that he needs complete critical Care sustenance every 4 hours. Sly almost always ate immediately following surgery, but not always. The fact that he's losing weight tells me that Chico is not getting enough to eat right now. Sly was also a senior boy over 5 years old when his dental issues started, and we always knew surgery was a risk and the reason we ended up sending him across the Rainbow Bridge was because he couldn't handle another one and his little heart had just had enough. He was so sick the day I took him in it broke my heart.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I just hope this does the trick for him. When I was telling the vet tech/assistant his history, she immediately hit me with 'they didn't offer to trim his teeth' at the other vet. I didn't think about it, because the doctor thought he could wait. At my normal vet, they have a mouth tool that has a camera, so they get a big view of what's happening. At the other vet, tbh, I don't remember if they used that. They did mention he had a lot of stuff in his mouth, which this time he didn't. I really trust our usual vet and hope this is the right thing to do.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it goes anything like my experiences with a pig having a molar planing, you will likely see a very big difference in him in 48 hours. Don't get discouraged as it may or may not be a little rocky, but if your vet is good at dentistry he should be up and around and eating in no time. That's what I meant yesterday when I said it can get bad fast, and I've never seen a pig stop eating until it got bad.

Keep us updated on how he's doing. Fingers are crossed for him and for you.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I should also add that I'm very very glad to hear you got him done right away. It doesn't sound like he could have waited much longer

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I picked up Chico around 8pm. He got thru everything fine. His molars were all levels of overgrown and were cutting into his tongue. They didn't touch his front teeth. I read so much about them being cut too short and causing issues. I fed him and gave meds, but he is very tired and was trying to fall asleep in my lap. Hopefully he will feel better tomorrow. They knocked him out around 7pm so he's probably still feeling the effects from it.

Amigo didn't react poorly to being alone and they didn't have any particular thoughts on being back together.

Hopefully this solves our gi stasis issue and only gets better.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
He was also chewing slowly which I think is normal to start, right?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yay Chico!

You'll notice that he's going to be unbalanced and sluggish for likely 48 hours. I used to call Slydy my little drunken sailor.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He was also chewing slowly which I think is normal to start, right?

Yeah. He's pretty stoned lol. But he's chewing and that's a good thing. The anesthetic can also affect his gut motility but I believe you already have meds for that.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
He seems a little dull this morning, but ran away from me when I had to pick him up to feed. He ate and took his meds. I offered him vit c treats and a little bit of lettuce to see what would happen. He ignored the vit c treat, and nibbled at the lettuce, but that's it. Amigo just took it and he didn't do anything. I'm going to feed him good and then I come home for lunch at 12. I thought about just calling out, but I really need to give my notice so I can start my new job. The thing with where I work, they just cram as many pets as possible onto the schedule, and understaff, and with usually only one person up front (me), getting away to feed him is impossible.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I had to leave for work but I'm worried about him. The second feeding the food was piling up in his mouth and he ate really slow. He is hiding with his head in the corner. Should I consider taking him back to the vet at lunch if he stays like this? They aren't open til 7.30.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's going to be a bit sluggish but he shouldn't really be like that. Every pig is different. If he were mine, I probably would.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Vet couldn't see us so we landed at the ER. He is in a warmer rn and waiting for the dr to talk to me. Got home at lunch and he was conscious but shaky, cold. Would run from me. I syringe fed him a bit while I called the vet and the ER. He ate just fine. Honestly I rather just hospitalize him and have them watch him. I hope Amigo is ok without Chico.

Affects from the dental? Not able to go 6 hrs without food? I hope they can get him better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.