Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Chewing Cage Grid

nblackwell33

Cavy Slave
I've got a pig who is chewing the C&C cage grid. She comes to the grid when I come in the room for a treat, and if I don't give her one, she chews on the grid for a second. I don't think she's eating the coating on the wire, because I find little pieces of it, but still, I'm concerned.

She has everything she could need. I have two pigs in a 2x4 C&C cage with fleece, two wooden houses, two stuffed hay racks, plenty of pellets, fiddlesticks, a few apple branch treats from the pet store, a chewable woven ball, a hanging thing with chew blocks and twice a day fresh veggies, fruit and water.

Any ideas? Should I make the coroplast taller? That'd be a bummer because I just got a notice that my piggy beadspread is one its way.

One of mine chewed for a while, and then quit. I have no idea why she started or why she stopped. The biggest danger is in them breaking a tooth, but piggy teeth grow back in a hurry, so I didn't worry too much about it.

I wouldnt worry about it too much, mine both went through a bar chewing phase and grew out of it soon enough, theres not a whole lot you can do about it anyway :)

This is good to know because I have recently found chewed places on our grids as well. They have plenty of appropriate chew-stuff in the cage. Must be just a phase.

Unfortunately, it is not always just a phase.
My first girl did it her entire life. It was annoying, but she only broke her teeth once. As said, if the teeth break, they do grow back pretty fast. It's more annoying than dangerous.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.