Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Chewing/biting/aggression/etc. Please help!

Danyelle0709

Cavy Slave
Ok so I've had my piggy Gibby for about a year and two months now. When we first got him he was only a few weeks old and the guy at the pet store said for the first night or two we shouldnt handle him too much to allow him to settle in and get used to us (my boyfriend and I). Of course he was so cute, I couldn't help but to cuddle him a few times. So for about the first week of owning Gibby he allowed me to pick him up with no problem. Also, we then moved into another house around that same time of getting him so he hard to get used to a new home twice. Now, although we are a fairly quiet couple and it is just us two, since the first week or so of having Gibby, he has refused to let me hold him! He Has bitten my stomach while he was out playing and I was putting hay in his cage. He used to at least let my boyfriend pick him up long enough for me to wipe him down and bathe him, but now he runs away and hides and won't come out. The only place he will even let me pet him is the very top of his nose an only when he is eating! I'm almost completely lost- it's been a year and he still won't let me hold him! He chews on everything in sight and chews the wires on his cage so aggressively I'm afraid he is going to either hurt himself or break out... Please help me someone. I love my piggy I love animals but I feel like I'm not cut out for this.. He is my first piggy, and I don't want to have to find another home for him because I can't do this.. Also, if it helps he has a wooden sleephouse that he doesn't chew on instead of his cage- idk why? And I give him small wooden chew sticks sometimes. He does eat those though. I just don't understand why he is so mean..?

I would honestly get him a friend! My nieces guinea pig was sort of like that. He chewed on his cage and wasn't really friendly when being held. As soon as I put him with mine, it is like he is a new pig! Your pig might be really bored/lonely! It is amazing how much a friend will help :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.